Author Topic: Rear Hub part Number  (Read 785 times)

Offline petetherev

• Moving Up
Rear Hub part Number
« on: 26.11. 2014 17:57 »
Hello, I’m trying to identify the Part Number of a rear wheel hub.  It was fitted to a 1953 350 Gold Star Swinging Arm (It was registered 21st Dec 1953) . I’m rebuilding the wheels and I’ve been told that I need the part numbers of the hub to enable the supplier to provide the correct rims and spokes. The hub has a riveted centre sleeve which are flush on the outside, a screwed retaining collar on the splined end, a felt washer and spacer on the opposite end which are covered with a shield and held in place with the wheel spindle and spacer. There is a part number on the hub, but it is impossible to read with any degree of certainty as it is,  stamped on the curve and only very faint. I think the last numbers may be 70056.  I have a number for the front hub, 67-5554 but its been said that this is only a casting number.
Any assistance would be welcome I did put some picture in but they were to large
Thank you in advance
Peter Michell

beezermacc

Re: Rear Hub part Number
« Reply #1 on: 26.11. 2014 19:00 »
If it's a swinging arm model I can only think of the standard crinkle hub which was fitted to all the heavyweights from 1954 (late 53). The hub is 67-6136. Any wheelbuilder / rim supplier should be familiar with this widely used hub.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 26.11. 2014 22:13 »
Hi Pete,
It seems, as Beezermac says, you've got the crinckle hub, also referred to as the QD hub. It's fairly standard that one, any wheelbuilder should be able to sort a rim and spokes for that one. Some fairly extended info on the CWC website; http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/
The number you're referring to is most probably a patent number. I have a QD hub of the type you describe on the '52 plunger, and it has as number stamped on it that starts with PAT followed by 5 digits.

'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 27.11. 2014 01:18 »

Unless the singles are diffo, it sounds like the hub you have may be from a '54-'55 S/A, the earlier ones have a screw in bearing retainer on both sides....it probably only matters if you want to be a bit anal, as in my opinion the one you have may be better for the bearing to 'locate' as I have one of each, and unless it's worn the " '54/'55 S/A' one allows the bearing to float and self centre better....?
 I'm using the 'correct' early one and getting the bearing to seat without side load was a bitch...

Also the ~'64/5-'69/70 A65/50's use a similar hub, but may have a external thread for a speedo drive- but could be mistaken*eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline petetherev

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 29.12. 2014 14:55 »
Hello, thanks for the replies, I apologise for not replying sooner but I been doing other things and its a bit cold in the garage. 

Regards
Pete