Author Topic: Finally started working on it  (Read 848 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Finally started working on it
« on: 13.11. 2014 20:14 »
Done working my regular job for the winter (BMW bike mechanic) and finally started on the RGS Spitfire Scrambler. Still not sure what direction I'm going with this. Could do it as a scrambler or an RGS. For now, I've been cleaning, painting frame parts and going through parts to see what I've got/need to get. Had a hell of a time getting the right fork slider/stanchion apart. Pretty well destroyed the circlip, but they're cheap enough. It'll really need new stanchions, bushes, and seals, but for now I'm just putting things together to see what's there. I need to order a gasket set and get on with tearing down the engine. Crank turns smoothly and rods feel good, but at the very least I want to clean up the internals, especially the sludge trap. Could be a challenge to complete. The only other bike I've built from a pile  of parts was a Triumph Bonneville. That was easy as I've owned a few running Triumphs. I've never even ridden an A10, but it ain't rocket science, right?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Finally started working on it
« Reply #1 on: 13.11. 2014 22:35 »

I've never even ridden an A10,

You won't regret it once you do.....

, but it ain't rocket science, right?

...well actually, in this case it is Rocket science - with a Gold Star to boot..... *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 14.11. 2014 07:21 »
Funny, building a trihard out of bits gives you a pile of bits stuck together!! *whistle*
Just make sure the bottom end is RIGHT.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 14.11. 2014 19:33 »
Hi Jackenbach, rocket science it isn't but it aint easy building a bike up from parts! My A10 was  thrown together project, supposedly complete but actually it was missing lots of the smaller parts and of course some parts were wrong (off different bikes) or worn out, on that project I started as you have with the frame resto (took a year) and then bought parts as and when I needed to until it was done, final parts bill was $$$$$, I never really tried to work out what was missing or needed but had I done so I might have sold it off, and bought a better bike with the proceeds.

For my current B31 project I'm trying to "dry build" it and place an order for parts all more or less in one go so I know the cost and time involved, and also do the painting all in one go, I've not found dry building to the standard I'm after as easy as I expected as I've found myself restoring or making parts in order to be sure it will all go together ok come the real build, for example I've found thats its not really possible to properly dry build the primary drive including getting the alignment right without the missing clutch centre bearing. To avoid pressing in bearings in twice I even resorted to grinding the o.d. of the worn front wheel bearings so they slide in the housing easily and then I can respoke the wheels, get tyres on, and finally fit the wheel and then be able to make up mudguard stays the correct length for the non standard alloy guards.

After stripping and spending many hours repairing tin ware I found I could not leave the parts bare and rusting so ending up painting them which was not what I planned as part of a dry build method.

I'd be interested to know how others approach building a bike up from parts!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 15.11. 2014 01:45 »
Looked in some more boxes today. Found a brand new pair of conrods with nuts, bolts, and big end bearings. A new set of Hepolite pistons and rings with a cylinder that appears to have been re-sleeved and painted (measures std size). The cylinders have rust in the bottom 1/2" from years sittiing in a cardboard box. Hopefully they'll clean up and I'll have to figure out if the pistons actually run in this lower part of the sleeve. Also in this box were bags of what look to be new hardware for mounting the top end. Another box has what look to be new lifters and pushrods. One of the heads looks to have been rebuilt. Springs, valve guides, valves etc. look new and unused.
Appears to be a good start on a fresh engine!

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 15.11. 2014 17:36 »
Which Aladdins cave did you stumble into J , seems you've got some real good stuff ,I'm drooling reading the goodies you have unearthed ,did you sell the house wife kids and grand kids for it all ? Or just your soul?? Best of luck, a very envious scouters, bobh
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 15.11. 2014 18:12 »
Good luck on your endeavor, stories like this may get me going to reassemble my A10.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"