Author Topic: Front Fork Oil Seal Replacement  (Read 771 times)

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
Front Fork Oil Seal Replacement
« on: 12.12. 2014 16:28 »
Hi All,

Any good tips on how to fit new oils seals on a 1955 A7SS? I've removed the forks and started on the off-side one, because this was the one that was leaking. Removed the old on simply enough, but fitting the new one seams to be more of a challenge. I've tried to grease the seal and the holder and push it in on the square, without success. I'm surprised that you have to fit them from the threaded side. Help!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Front Fork Oil Seal Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 12.12. 2014 16:42 »
I'm surprised that you have to fit them from the threaded side.
Hi Terry
the alternative would be to have the spring on top of them - not good and would also block the tabs for seal holder removal
I put a set in a month or so ago, got the original type however have since heard (isn't it always so) that the later A65/50 ones having a double lip are the choice of those in the know
for the price of them this might be the way to go if you still have the forks apart
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 12.12. 2014 16:59 »
Yes I see what you mean by your first comment, but that's cheating. I think I'll try to turn up a bung in Ali and drive it in. Looking at the BSA tool for this job, its similar. Cheer's anyway.

Terryb

beezermacc

« Reply #3 on: 12.12. 2014 17:06 »
There are two types of seal available. There are some seals which are completely encased in rubber - I think these are the ones referred to in the previous post, then there are the ones which have the metal casing visible. I usually use the rubber encased ones as these don't allow oil to slip up the side of the seal. I did this job for a mate earlier this week and I've never had a problem. You should be able to press the seal into the holder by hand, then use the old seal upside down to press the new seal in further. Once you've got it down far enough to expose a few threads you can screw the oil seal holder onto the slider which will push the new oil seal up into the oil seal holder squarely.

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 12.12. 2014 18:23 »
Now were talking, yes I have the rubber coated ones, I thought that if I could push it in far enough I could thread it onto the lower stanchion. Many thanks.

Terryb

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.12. 2014 18:40 »
yes I have the rubber coated ones,

Good (think if you look you'll find two lips inside)
These are the ones I should have bought   *sad2*, not pulling them apart just yet tho
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 14.12. 2014 10:24 »
Hi Guy's, all sorted, new seals installed and legs going back on the old girl today. Definitely a good tip Beezermacc, many thanks.

When re-assembling the forks, is it a good idea to assemble the wheel, so that before final tightening of the pinch bolts, you can pump the forks a couple of times to make sure that the fork length is the same both sides? This was recommended when I did the C15.

Terryb