Author Topic: None A10 Im afraid ..searching for a B.S.A M20 .  (Read 873 times)

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
Searching for the above please .
In Preston but I am prepared to travel to view ,etc .

Thanks in advance ,
Steve ..
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Re: None A10 Im afraid ..searching for a B.S.A M20 .
« Reply #1 on: 25.05. 2014 23:40 »
Don't bother, they're too slow and the novelty wears off. But if you find one you can put a B31 or B33 engine in it.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 26.05. 2014 04:14 »
I've got a M20, ex WD one. I've had it for 33 years and done many thousands of miles on it, I reckon they are a great bike but you have to accept them for what they are.

They are not a rocket ship but if you are happy to plod along at about 45 mph they will go forever.

In the UK there is a very strong following for the WD ones, they have a very good website much like this one.      http://www.wdbsa.nl/

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 26.05. 2014 07:14 »
I wasn't being cruel Brian. A friend has plenty of these engines spare because we replaced them with OHV ones. Alright to plod around on but for rallying on trips tries the patience.One thing we did with one of his engines was fill up half the combustion chamber with mig weld and gave it a boost of 10 mph.   http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg3/takka22/000_0894.jpg

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.05. 2014 07:56 »
I agree Wilko, there not much if you have any distance to travel. Thats what I meant by you have to accept them for what they are.

There not fast but if you are prepared to accept that then they are a good bike, dead reliable and cheap to run.

I rode mine back and forth to work every day for four years at one stage, I worked at a motorcycle/lawnmower/chainsaw repair shop. I never once bought fuel for it, every time a farmer bought in some old motor with stale fuel in I put it in my M20. They will run on almost anything that even resembles fuel.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 26.05. 2014 08:14 »

They will run on almost anything that even resembles fuel.
  ......even modern 'fuel'..??

I had most of one when I started building my A10 late seventies, but had to lose one to do the other- sold it cheap to a 'mate' who didn't have it long....!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 26.05. 2014 08:21 »
Yes, even modern "fuel". When you are dealing with a 5.5-1 compression ratio almost anything is combustible.

They are not everyones "cup of tea" but if you are not in a hurry and you live in some nice picturesque countryside then they are fun.

The old saying of "horse for courses" comes to mind, dont head out with your mates on your M20 when they are all riding A10's. But look at it another way, if all your mates are riding Bantams you would be on the most powerful bike !

But then again if your mates ride Bantams maybe its time to get some new mates.  *smiley4*

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 26.05. 2014 20:47 »
LOL !!
Maybe I ought to change My mates then Brian !
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.05. 2014 22:53 »
I'd stick with the mates you've got Steve, better the devil you know.........

There are a couple of groups of guys here in S. Aust that have Bantams and C11's and have a lot of fun on them. Particularly the C11 group, I dont know any of them personally but they do big trips on their bikes, sometimes thousands of k's across the country to attend rallies etc. They wrote a book about one of their trips.   http://au.blurb.com/books/761802-across-australia-by-c11

So you can have a lot of fun on any bike if you are prepared to take your time. You might have to travel slower on a smaller bike but you can still enjoy yourself.