Author Topic: contains offensive materials! image may offend some viewers  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
A mates plunger A10 went bang over the weekend on the way to the start of a BSAOC rally so is in need of a set of cases or timing side, his email sums up the incident  *sad2*
If you can help please PM me.
Cheers!

"Giday Tim yep she went bang big time ......... you could repar it if it was off a |Brough Superiour ect but nah she's ***ed. Absolutely no warning , was reving freely and not labouring , losing power or developing a death rattle then .............. well a pic is worth a 1000 word eh.

I suspect oil pump failure as the inside of the cases were bone dry and no residue on screwdriver ... loads of smoke out hole and oil tank....plenty oil in tank ... probably had the starts of a hairline crack in BE cap as you can see an obvious fracture crystallization of the metal ... remnants of rod still moves up and down a bit so not piston seizure ... it happened in literally seconds............."
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Bsa Nut

• A's Good Friend
Damn, I hate to see that sort of thing happen.
No injuries is a plus. The rest is just metal I suppose.
Good Luck in the rebuild.

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Looking at that, I think I'll recheck (again) the function of the oil pump I fitted as part of a rebuild last weekend!
Good luck finding new cases.
Regards
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Ouch  *rant*. Did the crank snap? Expensive rebuild on the way. An LJ crank and rods will be on the shopping list.
Very sad to see.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
That really is a shame, brings back bad memories of my first plunger giving up the ghost poor guy must be gutted. Am I looking at this correctly? that is the presure release valve and thats the timing side rod ? Just all blow ups I've ever seen (my own included )on an A10 have been the driveside . BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
This happened Sunday and yes timing side case is toast. Not sure what else.
And Greg will certainly need either a timing side case or a pair for his '52 plunger.
Certainly not a hard rider.
I believe he has quietly started his disassembly.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
An update from the owner:

well Tim

I suppose I have to face the music and confess my faults to you having totally failed in my responsibility as custodian of a piece of classic motorcycling history ... I have found the source of the incident .... was oil supply alright!!!!!!!!! oil tank gauze was totally blocked ... probably hasn't been cleaned since the 80s ...... and I mean totally blocked..... must have picked up that final piece of shit and closed up completely .... previously good oil return ... oil heating up in tank ok ... hell it even wet sumped a couple of times  .. couldn't blow down pipe at all (and I can be a blowhard) ..... as they say in the military NO EXCUSE... all I can possibly do as an act of contrition and to restore at least a little dignity is fix it.

New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
Good news, a timing side case has been sourced relatively locally!

A big thank you to Gavin from WA who also offered help, good man  *clap*

New Zealand

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
Thanks Rocket Racer for putting that up I will be checking my filter gauze regularly from now on! *eek*
Best of luck with the repair
Peter

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Feel for you fella, may you be up and running again soon.
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
Had the following update from the owner, the bikes back together and well the following was an email sent to me, thought I'd share it:

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your input and moral support with the rebuild of that dropped rod

the rods I got of you are in the motor and I am totally confident they will last the distance (what ever distance it ends up doing) ...both rods looked in excellent nick but one looked slightly "fatter" in all dimensions , strange .... anyhow I took them cheekily  up to post shop and put them on their scales ....wondering if there would be enough weight difference to cause a problem , but NO , they were within 2 grams of each other , the "fatter " one was actually lighter ... very strange .... suffice it to say I am delighted with those rods, so much better than the "next best" I was going to use  .... im picking they are pretty low mileage.

Anyhow bike has done around 800 miles now , a bit of an issue , in fact quite an issue , with smoke .... I'm picking that the Johnson Engineering rings I used just simply weren't totally round ....it is GRADUALY bedding in and after plenty of fowled plugs settling down ok...

I wouldn't dare tell you how I "encouraged " them to bed in ....but it did involve isohexane and brasso .... yeah I know bush engineer right. Man that thing pulled some revs during the "encouragement process" ... if it didn't go bang then it isn't going to.

I know it is a comparative term but to me that silly old A10 with its excessive 6.5:1 compression really does go like shit off a stick, not a hint of bottom end noise!

gave it a new wiring loom and got charging system sorted ....... all good there...... sorted quite a few little issues while it was up on the platform.
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Great to hear it's alive.
I have used Ajax to bed in rings or de-glaze bores, but never on the BSA. Change oil immediately and again after 15 minutes or it'll bed OUT the bearings & bushes.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7