Author Topic: Another new member  (Read 550 times)

Indianmike

Another new member
« on: 06.12. 2013 01:42 »
Hello,
I am Indianmike. I just traded a 1949 Indian vertical twin in pieces, for a complete 66 Lightning, (not running). I am interested in learning more about all of the BSA models which I remember from my younger days. I am located in Indiana in the USA. I am told that this is a wonderful forum, with knowledgeable members. So, I'm looking forward to learning from you. I have been a motorcycle rider my entire life, (now 66 years old). In recent years I have mainly owned and worked on American Indian bikes from 1940 through 1950, although I have also owned a Triumph, several Harley's, and a Yamaha. I have built and maintain several of the Indian vertical twin models that were copied from British twins or that era.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Another new member
« Reply #1 on: 06.12. 2013 10:36 »
Hi Indian Mike, and welcome ,your informant didn't decieve you this forum is undoughtably the best !! Friendly ,knowledgeable and down right funny ( at time ) I'm sure one of our moderators had a lightning which is no more but you can tell he had a soft spot for!! ,myself ,well I sold my fair share of them in '66 in Liverpool and always thought they were the only unit i'd consider (but only after the A10 which has remained my favorite ) Cheers BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 06.12. 2013 10:52 »
Hello and welcome, thanks for posting a fine introduction. We are covering the BSA A7 & A10 here, we'll maybe make you acquire one of these models? As you can see when reading posts here, there's lots of support, parts and knowledge available to keep them on the road.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 06.12. 2013 19:31 »
G'day Mike  *welcome*
We don't go to the dark side much here (A50/65) although a couple of us have one. They are a bit of a hand grenade (just blew mine up) compared to the much better looking A7/10's. The only BSA twin to get past my '57 A7SS on the race track was an A50.
We will be happy to answer any ?'s on A7/10's here. A couple of good books on BSA twins are "BSA Twins & Triples" and "BSA Twin Restoration" both by Roy Bacon, which will help you with your A65.
Didn't those Indian's have a Royal Oilfield 700cc twin motor?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.12. 2013 09:37 »

Hi there IndianaMike, (one of the 'Jones' family?), welcome along even though your new trade is not of the A7/10 breed.

By 'Lightning' being '66, is that maybe a 'Lightning Rocket'.???.....or is that a 'Rocket Lightning'..??
I'm not clued up on units too much....
cheers, duTch

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia