Author Topic: introduction  (Read 1744 times)

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
introduction
« on: 20.11. 2008 21:15 »
hey BSA'ers
 been lurking for a bit, thought i'd introduce myself -Mike is the name and i have become owner of a 61 A10 pictured below  - I have a few other bikes (73 850 norton commando;owner for 22 years -bought when i was 18, a 78 laverda triple, 74 ducati 750 (owned for 18 yrs), and my commuter (and least favorite) a 96 900SS ducati).

my bike appears mostly original except for the 930 carb, which i want to replace, as the bike is a bitch to start cold -due i believe to a lack of a choke - other than that seems solid but i  haven't had any real time to spend  with it riding as its in the 30's here in New York -one minor problem in addition to the carb is that smokes comes from from what i believe is a rocker cover leak(s) but the exhaust is clear - take it that is an easy fix as looks like they can easily be removed without the head coming  off?
 anyway look forward to swaping lies and getting info and passing some on in the future

mike

Offline groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: introduction
« Reply #1 on: 20.11. 2008 22:06 »
Great bikes Mike and welcome. Lovely to see the selection of Ace bars!
The A10 looks just superb and a worthy stable mate for the other beasts.
Starting in the 30s Fahrenheit without a choke could well be a pain - mine sulks a bit when the temp gets down to about 3 Centigrade. Holding a hand over the intake while kicking it usually does it, without sucking the skin off the palm, but a choke slide would definitely be better! And for you with that stack on the end, no space for the hand methinks.
Re the smoke from the rocker box, could it be that someone has put a 'breather' hole in one of the rocker cover plates? I think there was a misguided fashion for doing that a way back. Someone had done that to my front cover, but then thought better of it and blocked it up again. I'd have thought it was unlikely that visible fumes were coming out of a gasket joint, otherwise that beautiful creation would be covered in oil up top. In any event, not all that hard to take on and off. But you might want to get a 'pushrod comb' tool if you're thinking of taking the rocker box off completely, as the pushrods are a pain to hold while the box with rocker arms inside is put into position on top of them. But anyone prepared to play with Laverda cams will have no problem with a bit of British Agricultural Engineering, I'm quite sure!
Bill

Richard

« Reply #2 on: 20.11. 2008 22:29 »
-Mike
Hello
I have a 1961 super rocket and a 1954 Plunger gold Flash
I have fitted a Mikuni carb to the Super rocket  and starting is now second kick ( when no one is watching) The mikuni does nothave a choke but the starting lever is lifted to operate a starting jet also the tickover is much more even and ther are no flat spots at all and the take up is smooth through out the range. Although it does not look original I do not regret fitting it
All the best
Richard

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 21.11. 2008 08:34 »
Hi Mike,
great selection of bikes there.
Should keep you busy, if not out of trouble.
Cheers,
iain

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 21.11. 2008 16:53 »
Hey Mike, good to see you here.  Welcome to our little world.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 21.11. 2008 17:13 »
Welcome Mike - our little world is getting bigger of late
Like the black flash, I have a 61 flash that is gold but I later found out it's original colour was black, not that I'm anorakit ( new word ) but I do like a black bike.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 21.11. 2008 22:50 »
thx 4 welcome gang - good 2-C-U here too Alex!

was so pumped about new A10 was driving in the low thirties today - sure i'll have pneumonia tomorrow  but what the hell, i can recover over the next week by overdosing on turkey and beer..
take care
mike