Author Topic: 1959 front brake backing plate  (Read 1125 times)

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
1959 front brake backing plate
« on: 15.05. 2013 17:24 »
Hi all,
I am working on a 59 - 60 SR. The front brake is 8" cast iron.

There is a lot of clearance between the steel pin which is the pivot end of the brake shoes (and threaded to take the brake cable adjuster), and the hole in the alloy backing plate; i.e. 0.040" - 0.050". The hole is concentric (not worn oval). Is this normal for this brake?

The steel pin has a nut (on the cable or outer) side of the brake plate, which was loose, and the reason for movement in this (pivot) end of the brake shoes.

Has someone done a bodge?

My  instinct is to bush the hole.

Comments / advice welcomed.

Richard   

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: 1959 front brake backing plate
« Reply #1 on: 15.05. 2013 19:03 »
No Richard, it's not a bodge.  It's BSA's way to centralise the brake shoes.

When you put the brake together leave the nut loose until after you put the front wheel back in the forks.  Then with the bike on the centre stand give the front wheel a fast spin and put the brake on as hard as you can.  This will centralise the brake shoes.  Now keep the front brake held on whilst you tighten the nut.

Most A10 owners don't realise this and that is why this front brake developed a poor reputation.  You will only get full efficiency if you have replaced the brake shoes because the original ones will already be bedded into the position they were in before the brake was stripped down.

Hope this helps.

Beezageezauk.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.05. 2013 20:56 »
Most A10 owners don't realise this and that is why this front brake developed a poor reputation

Me being one some years ago, I even shimmed the hole with cooper pipe thinking that I had the wrong pin.
I realized the error of my ways when reading about floating shoes and put the proverbial 2 and 2 together 
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.05. 2013 16:55 »
The plot thickens!
There are two trailing shoes fitted. Both shoes are marked with a "T".
Can anyone recommend a supplier?
Note that both ends of each shoe are flat; is this to allow self centering?

There is a "U" shaped steel plate that fits over one end of each shoe; does this go on the pivoting end (not the cam operated end)?

Thanks,
Richard

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.05. 2013 17:40 »
not sure the shoes belong with the plate?

the steel slipper thing can only go on one end (presuming it the same as mine) and I think they could be from a TLS, although I'm open to correction.
If you could somehow get a clue to which side of the shoes were facing out then you could judge the direction of the shoes placement by comparing the leading edge of the brake lining.
I faced this dilemma when I got new shoes for my TLS (from an auto jumble) and found they were incorrect when I got home  *doh*

Sorry can't be more specific as I'm not convinced the brake is 100% yet
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 26.05. 2013 22:07 »
Richard,
             Perhaps your shoes are from the later fully floating brake?

Trev.