Author Topic: Early Swinging Arm Seat  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Cider1

• Moving Up
    • Listen to Out of the Blue
Early Swinging Arm Seat
« on: 20.05. 2013 15:35 »
Gentlemen
I'm about to replace the seat on my 1958 A10.  I know the seat is Pt No 42-9072 and I've done searches on Google and Ebay and found that there are many available in prices ranging from £75 to £135.  I've also heard stories about poor fit and finish.  Has anyone on here replaced their seat and if so which make is recommended?

Cheers
Frank

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Early Swinging Arm Seat
« Reply #1 on: 20.05. 2013 15:43 »
http://www.rk-leighton.co.uk/

I've had a seat from these (now run by the son ) and very good it is, at the top of the price range but you can buy the foam and cover if you fancy DIY

Think there are a couple more in UK plus they do come up on Ebay from India on occasion
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 20.05. 2013 16:31 »
Second Leighton,s great job on my seat last year, they stripped, shotblast and painted the seat frame, new foam, reused original cover, cost was £60.00. Just did not want a new seat look on a 50 year old bike.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 20.05. 2013 17:54 »
My seat base was a bit tired so I bought a Wassell seat from ebay. I like it, very nice to sit on and fitted very well. Came from Wales at about £99.

Regards Colin

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 21.05. 2013 15:17 »
How strange the way the order of these  posts work out ! I bought a seat about 8 yrs ago and I'm sure the shop used wassells ,my seat base was weak and the seat bent at the neck when fitted ,had to sort that and place a support under to stop it happening again and the threads stripped at the back and on the front,sorted the back but the front are an ongoing problem to be redressed soon, altogether wish I had known about leightons whose reputation is extremly good, regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 21.05. 2013 17:06 »
Hi Topdad.
My frame has two buffers built into the frame to support the seat in lieu of the two long rubbers supplied by Wassell on their seat. Some lads on the forum claim no to have the threads for these on top of the frame. With the gold star mudguard and brace it all fits snug with no stress to the seat. Fingers crossed. Took my old A10 out today, new front inner tube !!!m never rains ?

Regards Colin

Offline Cider1

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 21.05. 2013 21:51 »
Hi
Thanks for all the advice. Earlier today I bit the bullet and ordered a Wassell one. Now I've caught up with these posts I'm wondering if I've made the right decision!!
I'll report back on the quality when it arrives.
Thanks again for the replies.
Frank  *beer* *beer*

Offline Sparky

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 22.05. 2013 02:04 »
Frank,

I have a Wassell seat purchased about 2 years ago.  I don't recall the price, but I think it was at the lower end of the price range you listed.  Other than needing to shave the rubber support blocks to have it sit properly on the frame, all the mounting holes were in the correct place, it looks good, and it does a fine job supporting both me and the missus!  I can't comment on durability, since the bike is always garaged.

Offline Cider1

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 28.05. 2013 20:34 »
Hi
Here's the update on my replacement seat. The Wassell seat has been returned!!
There were, in my opinion, too many faults;
The rear mounting holes were were too far apart.
When the front bracket is fitted the seat is way too high and about 1.5 inches too far back.
The seat padding was very 'curved', it was like sitting on a barrel!
I was tempted to cut away some of the padding to make the profile more 'original' but the Wassell seat cover is glued on so can't be easily removed.
All the thread inserts are metric thread.
All in all I think the Wassell seat is a very poor budget seat and should be avoided if possible.
This has been an expensive lesson for me (I got a refund but still had to pay the shipping). I should've gone to Leightons in the first place.  They sell a new moulded foam padding of the correct profile for only £39, a real bargain.
Frank  *beer*