Author Topic: My ol' bitza  (Read 729 times)

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
My ol' bitza
« on: 23.04. 2013 14:56 »
So, here's mine, -It never came out of the factory. It started maybe 20 years ago. After a couple of great Commandos and some japanese, and having finished my Velocette Venom Clubman, I fancied doing a vertical twin. But I didn't feel as though I could justify the cost of a 'complete' bike... in addition I thought that maybe if I built one from scratch I'd be able to get all the components that I wanted. (Well it's a mugs game that!)
There were no pretensions for it to be original, though it's ended up looking fairly 'faithful'.

I started with the motor, found in Kent on a trip to my old home in Farningham, - a 650 that had been used as a grass tracker - outfit I guess. Setup for alcohol, shaved thick-flange barrels, 'replacement' crankcases, pretty well post '58 Super Rocket spec I think.
The head had buried a valve into a port so there was a bit of reclamation to do.
It took years to get the rest together. I had got the Goldie alloy tank brand new, picked up from the Lyta workshop in Dartford, stainless mudguards and siamesed exhaust system, a 4-spring clutch and lots of other parts for Armours. Lucky I got all this stuff when it was cheap... you wouldn't believe the prices then. I think the complete stainless exhaust system cost 32 quid (feeling sick?)
Anyway over a few years I did a 'build' and ran it, but never really got it fully sorted. It went to the back of the workshop for another 10 years, then around 8 years ago I did it again, changed to the nice RGS silver colour scheme, but again never got it fully sorted. Most of my probs were down to a weak mag I think.
So now it's getting done again. Hopefully this time I'll finish the bastard!
It's a 2nd kick starter thanks to a rewound mag, plenty of balls low and mid range, but I've yet to get it out on the road (I've got a dirt driveway and you can get it into 3rd).
Final probs? well it deserves a tacho, but for that I need either a late inner timing case with the drive from the oil pump, or, a manual magneto for a drive off that to an outer timing cover drive.
I need to get the speedo fixed... there's the usual oil leaks... I'll keep at it.
-Jools
Hope the pic works, I never know what code to use!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: My ol' bitza
« Reply #1 on: 23.04. 2013 16:37 »
It's a looker!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 23.04. 2013 20:58 »
 G'day Jools she looks good to me. I've always lusted over those tanks. The TLS front brake would be an improvement, I have one in a box waiting to go onto the cafe. I also like the gaiter look.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.04. 2013 08:59 »
'Rat, you'll love that TLS brake. The first iteration of the bike I used the standard SLS FW hub brake, -pathetic, -one ride told me I needed something better, so then I tracked down the later TLS conical hub/brake, but that was a disappointment too. Then after a long search I got this '68-'69 type brake, and it's a beauty, what a difference. The dogs bollocks. (and it don't 'arf look pretty too!)
-Jools