Author Topic: New to Forum.  (Read 1143 times)

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Good Friend
New to Forum.
« on: 21.02. 2013 20:37 »
Hi everyone,
I'm so glad I've found this forum. I'm collecting my Dads '61 Super Rocket next week that has sat idle for 10 years at my brothers house since my Dad passed away. Going to need a bit of help, but a lot of the questions I have, I've already found answers to on here.
Will post a picture when I collect her.
Cheers!
61 Super Rocket swing-arm

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
Re: New to Forum.
« Reply #1 on: 21.02. 2013 20:50 »
ShaunMac, Welcome to the forum and good luck with the Super Rocket! The guys here are always willing to help and give advice. Don't forget those pictures!

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the
glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big
as it needs to be.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 21.02. 2013 21:02 »
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your introduction and welcome to our friendly forum.

I'm sure that you will get lots of help and advice as you get more deeply involved with your new project.  We're all here to learn and help each other.  I suppose that is why the forum was set up in the first place.

The Super Rocket is a popular model so you shouldn't have any really serious problems with it.  Parts are still reasonably plentiful if you know where to look and information is abundant.  You've found an excellent place to start.

However, it would be an idea for you to add your location to your profile.  Nothing too specific.  Maybe just an area.  Then we might be able to advise you of a local parts supplier or there could be somebody in your area who could assist in more of a "Hands On" capacity.

In the meantime keep us updated on your progress and we look forward to viewing images of the bike when you pick it up.

Enjoy the experience.

Beezageezauk.

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 21.02. 2013 21:43 »
Thanks for the replies. Updated profile with my location, Cumbria.
I worked abroad when my dad got the bike. So never managed to get any tips from him on it, as he passed away. I need to dig put some old pictures as my dad & his twin both had Super Rockets in the early 60's and I have a black and white photo of them both near Aintree. I've ordered the Haynes manual from EBay and work with modern bikes quite a lot (mostly when they've crashed) so the principles are there.
Can't wait to get it!

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 22.02. 2013 09:27 »
Hey what a coincidence.  I'm travelling over to South Cumbria a week tomorrow to pick up a '61 Super Rocket.

FYI:- Treat the Haynes manual as a good guide but not the gospel.  There are quite a few details in there that are not 100% correct.  You would do better with the "Illustrated Workshop Manual for the BSA"  This was produced by BSA and is now the preferred manual for those who do more serious work on these bikes and the detail is excellent.  These manuals cover various models so if you go this route make sure you get the right one.  Check out flea bay or Bruce Main-Smith Retail Ltd who reproduced them.

Also there is a guy in Barrow-in-Furness who supplies BSA spares.  Are you close to there??  He probably has these manuals and his own catalogue.  But as I don't want to advertise on this board (not sure if it is allowed) send me a PM if you would like to have his details.  He knows the A10 range inside out.

Bear with me if you send me a PM because I'll be away for a few days from tomorrow.

Beezageezauk.

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 22.02. 2013 09:37 »
I'm in north Cumbria but travel down to Barrow area quite a bit in my job as a vehicle examiner.
I'm pretty sure there's a manual with it as I recall helping my brother in 2001 when we stripped the engine.
Will pm you though for the guys details.
Cheers,
Shaun

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 22.02. 2013 09:40 »
Welcome to the forum, am hoping it will be of help. And a bike with a family history, that's great.

Please take as look in http://a7a10.net/forum/index.php/board,15.0.html for practical info on how to best use the forum.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 26.02. 2013 15:24 »
And here she is on her way home!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.02. 2013 15:49 »
Hi Shaun and welcome
nice looking bike, looks like it's been well looked after, tempting offers could be made for that Reg No I would imagine you will want to keep it though
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 26.02. 2013 16:00 »
Oh yes. Noticed the tax disc on it was the last one my dad fitted in 2000. Going to frame that.
Great condition for being sat in a garage for 12 years. A few chips in the mudguard paintwork where it's been knocked but all in all still as good as new.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 26.02. 2013 16:48 »
Shaun, welcome and enjoy your bike looks a really nice one ,nice idea about the tax disc, in a similar vein about 2 yrs after my dear old dad died I rec'd a rebate cheque from the halifax for an old joint account we held ,about £ 4.90 so I framed it, nice to see still hanging there! 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 28.02. 2013 15:48 »
Looks like mine when it arrived, hope you enjoy it as much as i do mine. The forum is brilliant, great bunch of lads.

Colin

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 28.02. 2013 16:32 »
A very exciting time for you!........ It takes me back to being 18/19 years old and getting my second A65 delivered. Spent the whole evening staring out of my bedroom window for the delivery truck. I gave up about 9 o'clock at night, went for a pee and then a brew. Just as I sat down with it there was a knock on the door, my bike was here! A magical moment. It was the same colour as yours too.
   It was a great bike that, but I couldn't keep both and as the A10 is a much better looking engine it got sold.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #13 on: 24.03. 2013 18:38 »
Welcome to the forum fella, all the best. Chicago
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.