Author Topic: Indian replica parts and a sad discovery!  (Read 2499 times)

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
Re: Indian replica parts and a sad discovery!
« Reply #15 on: 06.01. 2013 10:48 »
Thanks for all the replies, my experience with the Indian marine parts is much the same, basically ok and less than a third of UK made equivalent but with the odd wonky thread, grinder mark or casting fault....Now, I've no intention at all of setting up an import business myself but I will be seeing the chap I deal with soon (he only imports marine parts and as far as I know has no interest in bikes) but am considering suggesting he looks into bringing in a selection of parts as an experiment. I see that Goldy says there are several importers in the UK already, I found one on ebay myself just now, I don't know what sort of scale they are but this chap is quite a big business, his pricing is very reasonable, and if I talked him into it then I think it would eventually mean there would be a good, reliable place to buy Indian replica parts in the UK. As yet I haven't spoken to him about this idea so I'm a bit reluctant to go into more detail about him but if others here think its worthwhile I'll bring it up in the next few days...
As to the poor old A10...or maybe A7...its still trapped under a large and heavy pile of timber but will rescue it soon...

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 06.01. 2013 22:53 »
Oh no UncleRob, Get that bike out from under that pile of timber quick!!! I've been having nightmares about it disolving into dust. Please think of my lack of rest and do the good deed. Just think.....it might be a Rocket....oh no! Gerry

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 13.01. 2013 13:33 »
Rescued at last! It took a bit of effort to release it though....as I said before I don't think there is anything at all useful there, far too corroded but if I'm wrong and someone wants something then you're welcome....just don't expect me to unbolt it!!

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 13.01. 2013 14:33 »
Could make a nice wall decoration.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #19 on: 13.01. 2013 14:42 »
Great photos. Fascinating to think about it's story, once upon the time it was new and shiny and the owner's pride and joy, proudly showing it to friends and family, now nature and time nearly made it back into basic minerals.

btw, put it on ebay  *smile*

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 13.01. 2013 16:27 »
That'll buff right out with  bit of effort Unclerob.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 13.01. 2013 16:35 »
Can't wait to see the "after" Photos *lol*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 13.01. 2013 19:49 »
Why don't we start a restoration fund? There are enough on this site to make it cost less than £20 each to buy it and restore it, if Unclerob wants to sell it. We all trust Admin to conduct a fair raffle, and the winner gets it!......... I offer to help with the work for free.
Poor thing deserves a break!...........Well? *dunno*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 13.01. 2013 22:53 »
What a terrible, terrible shame, but I suppose when it was dumped its worth was practicaly nil. Reminds me of a phone call my elder brother received many years ago from a friend who was doing a bit of hedging and ditching in Kent UK. He had found an old bike that had obviously been stolen for a free ride home and dumped in the ditch. Knowing my bro' was into bike restoring, told him where to find it. Turned out the rims, spokes and a few other bits were beyond reclaiming but the engine and gearbox were ok as was the tank. Turned out to be a Velocette which bro' breathed new life into. Not sure what model it was though, Mac seems to float around in my foggy memory. Cheers. Gerry

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 14.01. 2013 04:16 »
When you think I bought my first A10 (a plunger gold flash JAA 450) for £4 back in 1971 that goes to show what they were worth then. Damn I wish I had not been young and stupid enough to smash into a car with the damned thing but the engine and gearbox is still ok after about its 4th rebuild :)

BSA A10 x 4
BSA A65 Lightning
Triumph T150v
Tribsa (A10 frame 750 Bonnie motor)

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #25 on: 14.01. 2013 10:12 »
Like the restoration idea and I'd happily donate the bike but unfortunately its just too far gone! The ally is so corroded that you can poke holes in it with your finger and when I tried to lift it onto a trailer the frame snapped in my hand!! The timber it was buried underneath was from the remains of jetty's dumped there when Canary wharf was being rebuilt so has been lying there 25+ years....

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #26 on: 14.01. 2013 12:17 »
My local old bike shop , Bridge Rd Motorcycles  as a tie up with a guy who  trades as Hawkshaw motorcycles ltd , used to own shop when it was Ben Lloyd's . Anyway cutting my ramble short , He did what you are suggesting ,He worked as a ships chief engineer and after a few trips arranged to shipback from India a few container loads of old british iron ,Trumpets,Bsa's and Enfields enough to fill a 3 floors of the shop and that was a good few years ago and he's still trading parts! So your idea could be viable and I wait with baited breath to see what happens. Best wishes BobH. ps i've never used Hawkshaw  as I don't get on with the owner but he still advertises and may have some bits for forum users.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #27 on: 29.01. 2013 20:12 »
looks like there's still some tread on the rear tyre  ;)