Author Topic: New Member with A7  (Read 1010 times)

romseyrocker

New Member with A7
« on: 23.03. 2013 16:31 »
Hi all.  this is my third attempt at posting on your excellent forum; I just can't get the hang of it!  I hope you can see the picture I've tried to attach.  I bought this bike on the 13th January 1962 so I've had it for 51 years and still enjoy riding it all year round; and in all weathers.  She's brilliant in ice and snow!

I have some technical questions to ask so, if this attempt has been successful, I'll move on.

Cheers
Dick

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: New Member with A7
« Reply #1 on: 23.03. 2013 16:56 »
Hello Dick and welcome to the friendly forum.

I guess that very few of our members can admit to owning a bike over that many years.  That, together with the fact that you use it all year round, is certainly something to be proud of.  Will you still keep it after the warranty runs out??

Anyway, you've managed your first posting so fire away with your questions.  I'm sure that there will be plenty of guys on here who can help.

I'm also sure that we would be interested to learn of any work you've had to do in order to keep the bike on the road.  In particular any weaknesses that have shown up over the course of time.

Beezageezauk.

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 23.03. 2013 17:12 »
 Hello Dick.
Welcome to the forum its been a great help to me during recent rebuild, and also an enjoyable experience viewing topic,s and also passing on information.
You have beat me, had my Super Rocket since 1966, but only got her back on the road last year from 1983 layup.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 23.03. 2013 17:35 »
I've had it for 51 years
Welcome, 51 years  *ex*  that is impressive indeed. For practical info about the forum, see the topics in Forum Info & Help. Am hoping you will enjoy the forum, and thanks for joining, looks like you may have a lot of knowledge to share.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #4 on: 23.03. 2013 17:55 »
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the vast amount of info on it. By searching for answers I have hardly had to ask a specific question as most have already been asked with excellent answers  *smile*
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 24.03. 2013 09:10 »
G'day Dick, welcome to the forum.
Nice bike mate, would be like a part of you after that long.
The A7's are a sweet bike, I love mine.
What year is she? 56/57 rear wheel & swing arm, what year is the front?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 24.03. 2013 12:35 »
Hi romseyrocker.
51 years owning the same bike-bet you know every last inch of it. Be interested to know what you have done to it over the years. All the guys on here are so helpful so, just ask. There's no such thing as a silly question on this forum. Welcome
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

romseyrocker

« Reply #7 on: 24.03. 2013 15:10 »
Hi Muskrat
You're right, the bike is a '57 and was a completely standard A7 when I bought it.  Being young at the time I decided to make it a sort of cafe racer (I lived near the famous Ace Cafe in London).   Modifications were exchange front wheel and fork bottoms for those from a '60 A10 that I bought from a friend; as you can see, the cylinder head is from a Shooting Star and I fitted spitfire cams, TT carb, siamese pipes, goldy silencer (or should that be loudener), ace drops etc.  But, at the latest major rebuild (1988) I realised that even a normal family car was faster so I decided to return it to standard Shooting Star specification (but I prefer black).  Over the years I have tackled a good number technical problems, mostly due to inferior replacement parts in the 80s and early 90s.  So it now has a Triumph 4 spring clutch (light, no drag and no slip) instead of the standard BSA 6 spring. I 've also fitted a Rocket Three oil filter in the return feed etc.
I'll have look at the technical threads now 'cause I've had an ongoing problem with poor tolerance of the original crankshaft cush drive components.

Thanks to everyone who has welcomed me to your forum.
Cheers
Dick

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 24.03. 2013 15:43 »
Dick,

Welcome to the forum. That is a gem of a bike with an excellent story made better because of your enduring commitment to keeping her on the road in good shape. Makes my ownership since '73 (also bettered by others here) pale. Living close to Ace Cafe, I think you must have a bunch of interesting stories to tell of back-in-the-day, and we are ready to absorb them. My own Ace Cafe experience was a pilgramage made during a business trip to London from here in the Chicago area. Things I learned: there is a whole culture around scooters with a hundred mirrors or lights or both; Ace has pretty good food, much better, I'm sure, than in the early days; the city recognizes the historic importance, having built highway dividers with cafe racers formed in the sculpture.

In addition to stories, more pictures appreciated.

Richard L.

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #9 on: 24.03. 2013 18:33 »
Hi dick, welcome to the forum, nice bike. Did better than me when I first tried posting photos, all the best fella, chicago
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.