Author Topic: incorrect part book  (Read 2372 times)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
incorrect part book
« on: 24.07. 2010 22:11 »
I noticed while I have the timing case covers off that for the second time I have managed to install the bushes for the idler gear the wrong way around.
I did this with my first bike and thought I must have got the bushes mixed up, the mistake became noticeable when the dynamo drive section filled up with oil which began to leak out past the dynamo cork, I have an SRM belt drive in there, testament to the quality of this belt drive that it continued to drive the dynamo even in oil.
Anyway I changed the bushes around after checking with my mates A10 that was in pieces at the time, the outer bush has a scroll that only comes half way through and scrolls the oil away from the dynamo section.
I could not understand how I had done the same thing again until I looked at my spares book, the spares book has the bushes the wrong way around.
There are four bushes the same 67-0686 three for the camshaft and one for the inner idler gear (inner as in the crankcase) the outer bush for the idler gear is 67-0286  and goes in the inner timingside cover,
Hope this prevents someone doing the same
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: incorrect part book
« Reply #1 on: 12.07. 2012 01:07 »
 That is correct Bill, but only it seems in the catalogue(#00-5086), that covers the later models, the earlier books('49-'53, '54-'57 & circa '58) seem to have it all listed correctly. I'm happy if someone can confirm/dispute that.

I saw this post a while ago, but not what I was looking for today-Conrod eye size(new post coming)
 Cheers Bill Too bad you found out the hard way!! duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 12.07. 2012 11:07 »
I have 2 parts books one 1954-57 which lists the idler pinion bush as 67-686 also same for the camshaft. The later parts list says idler pinion bush 67-286 and the camshaft bushes as 67-686.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 12.07. 2012 12:51 »
Yup, what you say is correct (off the top of my head) but As Bill wrote, there are three cam bushes and one inner idler bush all the same, it's the outer idler bush that is the 'culprit', the one that fits in the inner timing cover.
 In total 5 bushes, 4 same part-same number, 1 different part-different number. It's the later book got it wrong, having swapped inner for outer.
 cheers

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.07. 2012 14:34 »
I think these days the busiest tool to use in a stripdown is your mobile phone or digital camera, the quality of photos is great and a fantastic reference when you get to rebuild.
Even take photos of bought spares as they arrive.

Of course I know all this NOW  *smiley4*  but goes to show not all parts books and manuals are 100% but then they are made by humans
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.07. 2012 23:06 »
Spot on Bill, I initially scoffed at the idea of a camera-phone(Max Smart comes to mind), but didn't take long to appreciate benefits.A pic can save a lot of explaining.

So we're all on the same page now with the bushes??
 cheers duTch
Australia