Author Topic: Billybream,s 1960 super rocket renovation progress and thank you  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
After complete, strip, reassembling commenced. All tinware repainted except for tank and mudguards. Engine rebuilt, back in frame, forks and wheels on. Searched high and low for original guards, found rear on EBay, pre 1958, so a little work required, extra holes etc, some fibre glass filling to be replaced with welding, but now ready for paint. Front guard proved very difficult to source, lost out on one which went for £206.00 on Ebay.
Managed to find a suitable valanced front guard, not original, not sure what its origin is, could be Machless, but just offered up and with some home made brackets to replicate the twin mounting off fork studs will do. So well pleased with £25.00 cost of front guard, plus my time and a bit for welding. So await coloured parts back from painting, need to rewire, but getting close to fire up. Quite pleased with quality of replacement parts, exhaust complete from Armour, wheels by Black Cat, a few bits from VMCC, mainly Wassel, headlamp, rear shocks etc
Found local plating shop, and went with 95% of my fastener,s, they Zinc plated the lot for £30.00, what a resuit, turnaround in less than 24hrs.
Forum has been a great help to me, will share photo,s soon.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Backbeat

• Moving Up
Looks like you're moving along nicely.  Can't wait to see the photos.   Incidentally, are there many differences between the Pre and Post 58 rear Mudguards?  Like you I have a 1960 SR and have been offered and essentially NOS rear mudguard but it a pre 58 one.

Cheers
Duncan
1960 A10 SR

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
Hi Duncan.
Yes getting close now, the pre 1958 rear guard I have is very similar to the 1960 type, and so far very solid, the rear holes for stays are correct, but the older guard has lip removed to clear the flat ended stay, when the later version is arrow head which would stand clear of guard. I might try to build up this edge, which would bother some people, I have added holes for the seat angle brackets as found on 1960 versions and for the upper frame clamp rubber bracket, then had all other surplus holes welded. I decided to insert a support plate around the seat mounting holes and extended it for the holes from top of shocks. The number plate provision is the same.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
G'day Billy,
I have restored a '61 & '63 S/R, so I know how hard it is to get the correct guards.
The early A65's had an almost identicle front valanced guard, there are a few more of them around,
all you have to do is cut off the stay mounts on either side of the base of the guard & drill a hole
in the middle of the guard near the bottom for the A10 stand type bracket, they also have a hole
for a brake cable mount, that needs to be welded up. I have used these guards on two bikes,
& no one has picked it. As for the rear guard, they are like rocking horse s--t, usually cut off
or beyond repair, but sounds like you have that soughted. You can re-make the lip with body filler,
I have done this, & once sprayed in 2-pack etc. is solid, just build it up with filler & sand down to
match existing. Would be good to see some picks when you can.
Pic below is the A65 guard, "Hard to pick the difference".

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
Thanks Cus for your advice, the lip will be now built up with filler, I did bid for A65 front guard on Ebay recently, but others must have spotted potential, and it went for silly money.
Just a question for you, should the rear number plate be in black or in tank/mudguard colour ?

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
G'day Billy,
I'm pretty sure black is correct. I know all the models with chrome guards had black tail light brackets.
I've seen a few red etc. but I'm pretty sure that's not original.
Also I see you've had your bike from '66, that's a great effort, nearly every time I stop on my bike I get
someone that comes up to me & tells me that they had some kind of classic bike that they wish they
never sold! Having your bike for that long, I'm sure there's quite a few things you could help me with along
the line.

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
Hiya Billy,
According to Roy Bacon's restoration guide, it should be the same colour
as the tank/mudguards. Royal red on the red colour option, black on the black bikes
and princess grey on the third option for 1960.
Cheers.
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
G'day Pilgram,
Could be right there,http://www.bsansw.org.au/catalogs/1962/62os-11.jpg,
even though I've seen a few with apparently original paint with black brackets,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BSA-1958-SUPER-ROCKET-/120918594283?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item1c274f52eb

Cus
56 G/Flash project