Author Topic: '62 Super Rocket- 1st post  (Read 1945 times)

Offline cal223

• SoCal U.S.A.
  • Moving Up
'62 Super Rocket- 1st post
« on: 11.06. 2008 19:48 »
Hi everyone, I'm new!
Here's a picture of my Super Rocket.  As you can see the headlight is non-standard and check out the rear fender... it looks like the previous owner wanted to go for a bobbed look.  If I put it back in the standard location the rear seat mount doesn't line up with any existing holes.  I'm thinking of trying to find a non-valanced rear fender to match the front.  Anyone had any luck with pattern fenders?  Also the tank is attached using the one top bolt going into the frame top tube but it's got studs on the lower front too.  Is there a bracket it should be mounted on at the bottom front?
Still waiting on whether I can use the California black license plate it came with.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: '62 Super Rocket- 1st post
« Reply #1 on: 11.06. 2008 20:36 »
Hi there and welcome to our friendly group. 

In answer to the question about your tank mountings.  The fuel tank is correctly attached by using the centre mounting bolt.  This is all that holds it on.  However, these tanks were proned to vibration and cracking around the central boss so BSA fitted an anti vibration bracket that fits under the tank.  It is simply a piece of flat bar with two holes that bolts to the front studs that you think should be attached to a mounting bracket.  It's job it to prevent the tank from flexing at the bottom.

Beezageezauk.

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 11.06. 2008 22:10 »
Welcome, here is a link to some good pictures of Super Rockets, just to give you an idea of what to look for....

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9472/photos.html

mind you I like your bike as is.

Kev.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.06. 2008 23:12 »
Regarding the tank mounting, there should also be a couple of rubber bumpers that mount in the side-facing holes in the bumper holder below the top pipe (I don't know what else to call it that can be said here). On mine (2.5 US Gallons, I think), the studs on the bottom of the tank line up with the bottom holes in the bumper holder so that the tank vibration stabilizer runs through those bottom holes. By using steel tub to make the stabilizer it centers through the holes without having to worry about contact with the bumper holder. See the photo. I also found that the bumpers I bought were too thick to fit in the tank tunnel and I could not, safely, press the tank over the bumpers. In the photo you will see where I sliced off some of the thickness of the bumpers and they now fit fine.

I don't know if the tank stabiling bar is supposed to go through the bumper holder, but that was the only thing that worked for me. I suspect I will soon know the truth from one of the friendly folks on this forum.

Richard

Offline cal223

• SoCal U.S.A.
  • Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 11.06. 2008 23:46 »
Thanks for all the replies!  I'll be looking in to getting a hold of those parts for the front of the tank.  Thanks Manosound for the great picture- that makes it much easier. 
Thanks Kev, yeah, I've been pouring over the photos on that site but to tell you the truth I like the RGS's I've seen on this site the best.  Since my bike isn't concourse at the moment I think I'll just pick and choose which parts to use.  I missed a rear fender and bracket on ebay like those on the RGS's last week so I think I'll continue looking for something like that.   I've got a replica headlight on the way and I know my front fender isn't stock either but I think I'll keep it.
What is the difference between the Super Rocket and the Rocket Gold Star?  Cosmetic only?  Gearbox?  I should do a search for that.
Great forum.