Author Topic: Indian tank for the nth time and progress report  (Read 1141 times)

Offline saltbox Alf

• Moving Up
Hi every one, just to join in with uk, we have some snow here today and 1 deg, and the garage/shed is an icebox. I have made some resonable progress with the A10, after a partial stripdown I have repainted the frame and swinging arm and bits with Titan enamel. Titan It.s more or less the Spanish equivilent of Tekaloid and gives a good finish, brush or spray. Preparation is everthing of course and I have managed to get tennis elbow from all the flatting, if having arthrose was'nt enough!!  
How ever, engine is back in frame and the cases are getting polished. I have not delved into the engine as "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule applies. I had to do a mod on the exhaust pipe as the position for the silencer was wrong, about 2" too far to the rear, I have no idea of the pipe maker as there is no stamping any where. I don't like the silencer to pipe connection, it's a gusset and welded nut type and a bit close to the frame, mind it sounds good!!!
I stripped the paint off the tank and the chrome was beyond salvage, serious scratching to key the paint and in places worn to copper coating, so no polishing there to bring it back to life.
To get the tank rechromed is an option but it's fairly pitted on one section of the lower side and will no doubt turn into tissue paper in preparation. So it's gone on the shelf and I have purchased an Indian made A10 tank, now there have been various posts re Indy tanks and I should like to say it's not a bad option for the money, the size is accurate and the chrome looks good although there is evidence of some scratching in the base metal, not enough polishing of the bare metal. The indent for the badge is hand beaten and not very well done, without the inner ridge and distorted, however, the outer edge is the right size and with the badge fitted all horrors dissappear. The top surface of the tank around the central mount tunnel has some heat distortion but as this area is painted a small amount of filler has done the trick.
I appreciate that the original tank could be repaired but It depends how deep your pockets are !! Mine are usually empty!! The other point is the threads for knee grips and badges are metric.
So if your not rivit counting and don't want a seive for a tank, the Indy's are worth having.

I am waiting for the BSAOC to confirm what I have and then I can get it registered in France, no escape from paperwork!!
Cheers Al
I like bike, especially my 61'SR

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Indian tank for the nth time and progress report
« Reply #1 on: 05.02. 2012 21:04 »
Hi Alf,

I can't personally comment on the Indian tanks but maybe you can confirm a couple of points that were drawn to my attention from a friend who recently bought one.

1:-  The bottom of the central mounting hole is a different shape and diameter compared to the original tank and a home made rubber insert had to be used.

2:-  The tunnel of the tank was wider than the original and was a slack fit over the two rubbers mounted on the bracket below the frame's top tube.

Just something for you to check.  Yours might be ok and from a different manufacturer or if yours is the same as his at least you are wise to the problems and know what to expect when you come to fit it.

Beezageezauk.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 06.02. 2012 09:57 »
Hi Alf, I have the same experience as Beezageezauk.'s friend.
Not a big problem really just needs a bit more packing than standard, the tank I bought was a Goldie tank so I wasn't sure if the central tunnel on a Goldie was different to start with.
the central fixing was just a case of a few washers and another rubber bung.
One thing to watch for if your not going to use it for a while is to fill it with petrol or paraffin and not store it empty as it will lightly rust inside,DAMHIK
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline saltbox Alf

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 06.02. 2012 11:55 »
yes ,I have just used the mesuring stick and the center mounting hole is deeper to the  internal flange than on original, however the width is ok, the bolt fits and the bung fits fine, as for the blocks underneath as you say Bill, a bit of packing is ideal, you can't see whats hidden!!
 I use a kerosene /oil mix to keep the dredded rust away, "shaken not stirred"

A question? Did all the nacelle type headlamps up to '62 have chrome side flashes? if so and most of the pictures I have looked at have, mine is sans flashes or it's a good brazing job to fill the mounting holes, cos I can't feel any irregularity inside or out!

Cheers Al

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 06.02. 2012 17:54 »

Offline saltbox Alf

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 06.02. 2012 21:57 »
Thanks Fido, I thought so too, my bike is a bit of a bitsa I think *eek* but then a lot are, I am not even sure on the exact year as yet, although I am told it's supposed to be a '61 flash. waiting for bsaoc response.
Then I can get some French paper work done and get it on the road. If it warms up here at all

Cheers Al