Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1222 times)

Offline carp65

• Active
« on: 02.09. 2011 18:34 »
Hey guys,

Just an introduction and couple of before and after pictures of my 59 Super Rocket winter project, and my A65. I picked up the A10 in November of last year and refinished her in my basement workshop this winter and I'd like to say thanks to this forum for all the great information and experience that made this restoration much easier. Anyway I've been riding her all summer and figured I should join the forum finally.

Once the winter hits here there are a few more things I have planned:
 -  Magneto rebuild (runs good if I keep the slip ring nice and clean but I can tell it is getting marginal)
 - Get the chain case fitted. I have the fully enclosed chain case but I can't fit it because it interferes with the rear tire right now. I decided to put a WM3 Excel rim up front and a WM4 on the rear which all fits just fine without chain case but the 4" rear tire just rubs the case so for now no chain case.

As for me I got into BSA's mainly because my father rode them and I fell in love with the old photo's of his (a '58 Spitfire Scrambler). I picked up my '65 A65R while I was in high school (~1988) for $200 and restored it to riding condition my junior year (couldn't afford a car, didn't want to ride the bus so the Beezer was my ticket to freedom). Have ridden it ever since but always wanted an A10 so when I found the '59 SR last November I snapped it up. I must say, the '59 restore was 100 times easier with the help of this forum and the internet in general compared to when I did the A65 back in the 80's. Well that and my budget has grown immensely since high school. *smile*

My current motorcycle stable:
'59 A10 SR
'65 A65R
'74 Kawasaki F9
'59 A10 SR
'65 A65R

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 02.09. 2011 20:42 »
Welcome to the forum. Great looking bikes there. It's good to hear that you got help from here by just following along and, I presume, by using "Search". You now owe $4,300 in back dues  ;) *smile*. Really, no dues here.

So, should we call you "Carp"? Since you refer to "$" I assume you are in the U.S. Would it be too personal to ask your general location? I live outside of Chicago.

Regards,

Richard L.  

Offline carp65

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 03.09. 2011 01:13 »
Richard,

I am in the US, just north of you close to Green Bay, WI. Go Pack Go!

- Carp
'59 A10 SR
'65 A65R

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.09. 2011 01:30 »
Carp,
            I reckon that the '59 U.S. Super Rocket was one of the best looking produced.
Should have been available everywhere!

Trev.

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 03.09. 2011 03:55 »
Hi Carp
  Nice bike, love that 59.  I am doing a 59 SR as well.  Its a west coast model with the high bars and small tank.  I'll post some pics as work continues.  One questions, Are those the original fenders?  Can you post some detailled pics of the fenders.  Thanks Jeff

Offline carp65

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 03.09. 2011 23:47 »
I reckon that the '59 U.S. Super Rocket was one of the best looking produced.
Should have been available everywhere!

Trev.

Thanks Trev, the 59 is my favorite too. Sport fenders were only for that year I believe, and I love the blue. Tank had original paint on it and the bottom side was nice and un-faded so I got a good color match when I repainted it.

One questions, Are those the original fenders?  Can you post some detailled pics of the fenders.  Thanks Jeff

Jeff, Speaking of the fenders, I believe the rear is original. If there is some specific details you would like me to photograph let me know and I'd be happy to. For the front, the one it came with wasn't original, but as the fates would have it my '65 A65R has the same part number for the front fender as the 59 SR and my A65 does have an original front fender. For my '59 I got the front fender from Burtons (42-6544) and it is indistinguishable from the original on the A65.
'59 A10 SR
'65 A65R

Offline Hubie

• Dave Huybens
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 04.09. 2011 02:06 »
Welcome to the forum mate,

Beautiful bikes there.  I'd love to add an a65 to my little stable too, and you are right, this forum was a massive help when putting my a10 back together earlier in the year.  Hasn't missed a beat since  *smile*
1959 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Royal Enfield Super Meteor
1955 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.09. 2011 09:16 »
Welcome carp65 - well finished bikes if I may say so
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline taroha10

• A's Good Friend
  • 1961 super rocket. 1950 m20.
« Reply #8 on: 05.09. 2011 21:08 »
Welcomb carp65, lovley bikes.
I have always left the front section of the fully enclosed chainguard off.If you did have a drive chain snap,it can be a nightmare if it wraps up inside the front sprocket.Food for thought.
Cheers Mark.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 08.09. 2011 20:39 »
Got mine running with 'sport fenders' single clock and universal style headlamp mount. I think it's an all round great look when compared to the valances and nacelles. Running std curved down pipes and some 'interesting' weld seamed Goldie style silencers. Mine's just a nominally '58 iron head Bitza though.

It was a simple choice at refurb, it was clearly assorted nonsense and came with no tinware.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza