Author Topic: Lets off road  (Read 1258 times)

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
Lets off road
« on: 26.07. 2011 19:19 »
Hi Chaps,

350 miles after the rebuild shes still hasnt missed a beat so me and my mate decided to take the A10 and his AJS greenlaning.As he works for the Ordanance Survey he was up to speed on the lanes that are still legal to ride on ie (BOATS ,Byways open to all traffic). We set off from the pond at Tollard Royal in Dorset and rode up a fairly steep incline and along mainly dry chalk tracks ,wed only been going about 30 mins when we came upon a group of guys on modern trailies c/w big suspension and  motocrossish attire.They were very surprised to see us come round the corner and were rather concerned that we would break/spoil/get dirty our lovely old bikes ,(their words not mine).We had a good chat parted company and headed off on the Ox drove towards Salisbury for a few more miles where the track became more rutted and muddy.
We diverted to a pub called the Horseshoe in Berwick St James (I think) where upon entering the landlord asked if wed been on the Byeway and when we proudly said yes, he promptly said we wernt welcome because "I get a lot of trouble from 4WD people" ,We assured him that we came in peace and that our old bikes travel very slowly so he eventually relented and we had a nice pie and pint.
After lunch we got back on the Ox drove did a few more miles, mainly in 1st  just tootling along enjoying the scenery.We parted company and Ii headed home and thought I know where I can get a cuppa tea ,so I stopped in Three Cross Motorcycles (modern Triumph dealer) had me tea and perused the nice new Triumphs.Before leaving a couple of riders came over , looked at the dirty but shiny underneath BSA and said that it seemed a shame to spoil it doing what we had been.
I guess the moral of my tale is that ,yes Ive spent a lot of time and money over the last 2 years building it and no I dont want to ,or can afford to trash it ,BUT I did build it to use for fun and the ride to work each day and after the blood sweat and tears of the rebuild the old A10 owes me and needs to earn her place in the garage.So I will carry on using it (and maintaining it) its lasted 60 years so far so Im sure it can do the same again.

Spyke  

A10 spitfire style

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: Lets off road
« Reply #1 on: 26.07. 2011 20:20 »
Nice! I think they look better with a bit of dirt on 'em.
Cheers,
Iain

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 26.07. 2011 23:34 »
Absolutely brilliant Spyke, that is exactly how they should be used, Well done !

Offline *nick*

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 28.07. 2011 14:22 »
Spyke, first off, beautiful bike and I'm so glad to see it getting used, as it should be!

Q: what is the part number for those chrome conical tubes over the top of the fork tubes above the gators between the fork clamps?

I have a '52 B33 I'm building as an ode to the very early Catalina GP privateer specials and was looking to run a similar gator set up on the forks rather then the original fork covers with ears for the headlight which i wont need.

kind regards,
Nick

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 28.07. 2011 14:41 »
Dont know if its a BSA part number, but the set I have on mine came with little stickers that said
42 5318/3.
I kept  the stickers.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 28.07. 2011 19:29 »
Hi Nick not sure of part no. but got them fom Cakestreet Classics
Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Offline Gripperod

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 29.07. 2011 18:02 »
Put "bsa fork shrouds" into the Ebay search engine and you will get some "buy it now" appearing.

bp
1959 A7SS
1970 Yamaha AT1B
1976ish Honda CB750 Cafe Racer

Offline *nick*

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 29.07. 2011 22:54 »
thanks all, found them. just for future reference the part number is 67-5009

Offline *nick*

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 14.08. 2011 10:55 »
sorry to be a pest, does anyone know the part number for the fork gators on Spyke's A10? are they 42-5320 ?

-Nick

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 14.08. 2011 22:13 »
That would be the part number, Nick.
You also need the clips with them, 42-5323.

Trev.