Author Topic: Life with an A10  (Read 2426 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Life with an A10
« on: 26.12. 2007 17:07 »
Various threads come and go, I therefore thought that it might be interesting to read about the history of one particular bike, and some of  trials and tribulations  associated with  owning  it. The bike was bought about  seven years ago, and cosmetically it was pristine, however as many of you will be only to well aware, all that glitters is not necessarily gold.

The first year of ownership was dedicated to restoring the bike to roadster specification. The allure of  the clubman?s café racer specification quickly turned out to be a liability. Clip on handle bars may well look the business, but I am no longer an eighteen year old. The neck and wrist joints having long ago lost the supple elasticity required to ride in the manner that such a configuration dictates
So, in the intervening time what have I learned? Well, the number one lesson is that old bikes are an expensive hobby, but you all know that don?t you?

By year two of ownership it became fairly apparent that all was not well. I consulted a noted expert who changed the valves and guides. The noted expert charged me quite a lot of money for undertaking this task, and he turned out to be not such an expert as I thought he was. The cylinder head gasket did not take to long to blow. Obviously time to get the engine sorted out properly then. The engine was stripped and the crank journals were found to be in excellent condition, but the timing side crank bearing was found to be worn. The Crankshaft was welded and machined back to standard, the barrels were bored and new pistons fitted, everything else was found to be in good condition. The next problem to show itself was despite the fact that the engine had been rebored and fitted with new pistons, oil was being burnt. This turned out to be due to the offside valve guide working loose in the head. This is, so I am told, not an uncommon problem with A10 Aluminium heads.

After the rebuild my bike was run in on  cheap supermarket 20/50 oil. The oil was changed every 200 miles together with the filter element. I now run with fully synthetic oil. Much debate has arisen on the subject of oils. I would say only this. Mono grade oil is old technology. If your bike has always used it, then stay with it, but next time you strip your engine then change to synthetic. There are synthetic oils on the market designed specifically for air cooled motorcycle engines and if you value your bike its the best oil that you can buy. Do not use synthetic oil designed for car engines it is not suitable, and do not use synthetic unless you have stripped your engine and cleaned out the oil ways and the sludge trap. The sludge trap is a very crude device, and it?s Achilles heal is that it gradually fills up with all kinds of nasty things that are centrifuged out of the oil which eventually cause it to become blocked with very serious consequences for your crank. These nasty deposits are removed by an in line oil filter if you use synthetic or multigrade oil. If the engine has any oil leaks, then you have either a worn bore problem or a breather problem.

My bike has never leaked any oil with one exception. The gearbox oil seal does weep slightly, and then only if I use the side stand. I have fitted a new oil seal, but it has not eliminated this annoying fault.

Electrics: I have converted to 12v. I use the V Max regulator and it works fine, I have also fitted an LED rear and brake light conversion. The speedometer, and rev counter bulbs have also been replaced with LED lamps, and the headlamp has a 12v 45w halogen lamp. The dynamo is driven by a belt drive conversion kit. What this means is that I have a good powerful headlight and the dynamo is working well below it?s maximum capacity.

Tyres: Well, there has been much debate on this topic. I have an Avon ribbed speed master fitted on the front end, and an Avon SM on the rear. I have never ever had any problem with these tyres, but I should in all fairness add that I do not do riding in the rain, or in the cold. I am a wimp, I am a fair weather only rider. I often go on ride outs with a pal who has a Honda Fire Blade. On the straight it?s no contest. He can leave me for dead. When we ride around the back lanes and the twisty bits however, the situation is reversed. I just lean hard over and press on, and I have full confidence in the Avons. My mate is less enthusiastic shall we say? My front forks are fitted with progressive springs, and a set of Eddie Dow two way dampers, weather this is relevant or not I really don't know. Maybe I am more courageous than my pal, or maybe my pal is just over cautious I do not know. Make of it what you will.

The first picture is of the bike as it now is and the second picture is how it was when I bought it

Well that is my experience of BSA motorcycling what?s yours?

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Life with an A10
« Reply #1 on: 27.12. 2007 01:04 »
Well done !! good story and a lovely looking bike. I have to say I agree totally with you on the subject of oil and tyres but I wont go into any discussion here as they are topics for the Tech forum. I would say however I have had a so called square SM Avon on the rear of my plunger A10 and still managed to wear the end of both footpegs off. I also recently bought a 61' A10 that was meant to be fully restored but was the usual disaster mechanically, I had to fully rebuild it and it is now a good bike. I still have a couple of small things to sort but nothing serious. Just quickly on the subject of your gearbox oil seal you may find it is leaking where the seal faces against the bearing rather than around the sprocket. I usually put some sealant on the face when I put them in and havent had any problem. Enjoy your riding, Brian.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 27.12. 2007 09:57 »

Nice long read there John, thanks for that it makes a refreshing change to reading smaller posts.

Brian...
I still have a couple of small things to sort

Why is it when I have a couple of small things left, there always apear more soon after ????   *conf*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline 1KCBC

• Songkhla,Thailand.
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 28.12. 2007 01:09 »
Good story,nice bike and I like your T'shirt.How possible to give more picture please.Have a nice day and
happy new year.
Jaran.
1951 A10GF,(looking for  A10 swinging-arm)

Offline england kev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 06.03. 2008 17:49 »
Nice bike, and good story, thanks. Not sure I agree with your oil thoughts though, but each to their own I say, if you are happy with it then that is all that matters.