Author Topic: My A7 Star Twin Restoration  (Read 687 times)

Offline TassieChris

• Moving Up
My A7 Star Twin Restoration
« on: 04.06. 2016 10:39 »
Hi Guys
I recently bought a 1950 A7 Star Twin which was a running bike on club reg.

Mechanically it was pretty good but the paintwork was pretty ordinary. it looked reasonable but there were a few bubbles on the tank so I pulled it off to repaint and found that I could just peel the paint off in strips so obviously it hadn't been prepared very well.
This instigated a complete pull down of the bike and stripping it all back to bare metal for a respray.

I resprayed the tank plus redid the pinstripes (not exactly original as I was too cheap to get the tank rechromed as it would have been originally so I just painted it in a similar pattern).

The only mechanical work I did was to replace the steering head bearings with new tapered bearings plus new cables, hoses etc.
I also made and soldered in a couple of gauze filters for the petcocks as the originals were missing (tore off) and cleaned all the accumulated gunge out of the tank and petcocks which were almost blocked.

Found a couple of stripped bolts which required retreading/replacing.

Polished the various bits of Aluminium and chrome which all came up pretty good apart from the plunger covers which had all the chrome worn off them. I decided to buy a new set as the local chrome shop were going to charge me more to rechrome them than a new set cost.

I've just finished respraying everything (4 coats of colour and 4 of clear then a good polish)
The local paint shop matched the colours for me which came out really close to the original - That's original that was on the bike when I bought it not necessarily original from the factory as I don't think the maroon colour was actually available in 1950 - came out in about 1953 or 54 I think.

So here's some pictures of progress so far, All going fairly well just need to finish putting it all back together.

I'm going to rewire it from scratch and add some indicators for safety so still a bit of work to do yet.

Will post some updates as I go along from here.

Chris.

Offline TassieChris

• Moving Up
Re: My A7 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: 04.06. 2016 10:41 »
Some more photos

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Re: My A7 Star Twin Restoration
« Reply #2 on: 04.06. 2016 13:27 »
VERY nice!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.06. 2016 14:06 »
Sorry, I have to say in my opinion indicators are not a safe option on a motorcycle unless they have some kind of auto cancelling mechanism. I say this after being a witness to an accident. Whenever I see a two wheeler who's forgotten to cancel his winkers I shudder.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #4 on: 05.06. 2016 06:15 »
Really looks grate  *beer*
But I think indicators have more + than - so I say go with them

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Offline TassieChris

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 05.06. 2016 10:11 »
Thanks guys
re the indicators I also think the pluses outweigh any negatives.
I find it very hard doing hand signals while changing down a gear or two and braking for a turn.
I'd much rather have traffic see my indicators and know where I'm going - Hand signals are easy to miss plus a lot of people wouldn't know what you were indicating anyway.

Its pretty easy to mount an indicator LED on your headlight enclosure so you get a visual indication when your indicators are on. Not foolproof but pretty close.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.06. 2016 12:18 »
Sorry, I have to say in my opinion indicators are not a safe option on a motorcycle unless they have some kind of auto cancelling mechanism

a very valid point GB, but has to be balance against today's drivers, most of whom think hand signals are some kind of insult
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 07.06. 2016 19:07 »
Sorry, I have to say in my opinion indicators are not a safe option on a motorcycle unless they have some kind of auto cancelling mechanism. I say this after being a witness to an accident. Whenever I see a two wheeler who's forgotten to cancel his winkers I shudder.
fitted a small loud buzzer on honda 90 flashers  £1-99 on ebay it warns me and people on foot i am about to turn  before they step off the kirb on modern super bikes you still have to  press to cancel me i would be lost without them same applys to mirrors