Author Topic: Possible temporary forum slowdown & offline's.  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Lately there has been some massive spam attempts (the forum is getting popular!), nearly ddos attacks with some hundred rotating ip's at the time, continuously 'reading' posts, attempting to register + visiting all corners of the forum. Appears suddenly, lasts for while, then goes away. Looks like they are trying to force their way in, and probably getting very disgruntled because of never managing to get anywhere. If this occurs for a longer than 'normal' period, I may resort to taking the forum offline shortly, to update the htaccess \ ban lists & flush out most of the vermine.

So, if you get a '404 not found', 'taking too long to respond' or take ages to load, just try again a little later.

In the process there is always a (small) chance of locking out a member's ip, see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,3767.0.html for info on getting that fixed.

Thanks

"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Possible temporary forum slowdown & offline's.
« Reply #1 on: 19.04. 2011 23:10 »
In more ways than two, I'm glad it's you.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 20.04. 2011 10:15 »
E...Thanks for the advance warning.  It's a pity that you are subjected to the additional work but you efforts are appreciated.

Beezageezauk.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 20.04. 2011 13:57 »
This is a very good forum and unfortunately we live in a world where people want to destroy anything that,s any good. Thanks for all that you do.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 20.04. 2011 22:18 »
Hi Administer

All I can say thanks very looking after the forum and do what every needs to done.

Again thanks for all of your efforts and time.

Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 20.04. 2011 22:48 »
Thanks for that. & things are quiet now.

There must be much money in spam, should start spamming instead of spending money on old motorcycles! lol
But ftm, 'I can beat them, won't join them' :0)

"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"