Author Topic: 50's Panniers  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
50's Panniers
« on: 18.02. 2011 22:51 »
Does anyone have any photos of some period panniers that they could post on here? I have looked around the net and the only ones available seem to be western style or modern or expedition stuff. I was thinking of asking a local lady to knock me some up in leather.

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
Re: 50's Panniers
« Reply #1 on: 19.02. 2011 12:38 »
I can't think anybody would have used leather in the 50s. Ex-army square packs on WD frames were the norm, or Rodarks if you were posh. Then of course Cravens in the 60s.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline stephenrc45

• Moving Up
Re: 50's Panniers
« Reply #2 on: 20.02. 2011 19:32 »
I have a number of sets of "Midland supreme" 50/60's pannier sets. These don't include the bags but are the carriers that attach to the bike. I'm guessing they are for BSA's as I have one set in Silver, one in Devon red and two in Silver Beige.

I've no idea how you attach them, but the rear sections are drilled so I guess you fit them to the mudguards or other brackets. Anyway they are still in, what remains of, the old cardboard boxes. The base seems to fold up when a bag isn't fitted. All look in very good to good condition and are all brand new.

Any use?