Author Topic: rear wheel wanted for rigid frame 1949  (Read 962 times)

Offline denis

• Moving Up
rear wheel wanted for rigid frame 1949
« on: 19.02. 2011 22:56 »
hi everyone,
i'm new on this forum and to bsa's and i'm looking for a rear wheel (rear hub and brake and sprocket assy) for my rigid a10 from 1949.
I have a spare rear wheel (a quick release(?) that doesn't center on the rigid frame) is it just a matter of finding then the right sprocket and brake assy or are these parts, as i've been told; one of their own?
when i put this wheel in, the alignment between the sprockets seems good, but the wheel is of center,
thanks in advance for your help,
denis

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: rear wheel wanted for rigid frame 1949
« Reply #1 on: 20.02. 2011 20:46 »
Denis,
              The drum/sprocket for the rigid frame is the same as the A7/A10 swinging arm from 1954/5. As is the axle assembly. The brake plate is a rigid only item.
There are differences in the hubs between rigid/s.a. and plunger. A plunger hub can be machined to suit.
One of the rigid owners may be able to help with the centreing issue. If it is wrong it is only a matter of adjusting the spokes, hopefully.
  The early hubs are smaller and use a smaller cover plate but I guess you use what you can get.
Hubs from the B range should be the same but the drum takes a narrower chain.
       Trev.

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #2 on: 20.02. 2011 22:47 »
Theres a rigid brake plate on ebay at the momment...seems to have a slot like the plunger plate, where on the frame does this fit? (Unless welded and bolt on rigids are different?)
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline denis

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 22.02. 2011 21:26 »
hello,
thanks guys for your reply, I probably then have a b range rear wheel (hence the narrow sprocket drum);
I guess and hope I should be fine with a brake plate like the one on ebay mentionned by trickytree wink2, with that and my "b range" hub I'm closer to easy street, I'll order a drum sprocket to go with it, and then it's just a matter of filling it up with all sorts of half circle covered with espestos, and a couple of springs,..
If I managed to send this pic, trickytree, that's where the slot comes in handy.  I must confess I almost  *work* that little knob of metal out, I'm glad I didn't  *smile*  and yep, it's a bolt on frame. I don't know about the welded ones.