Author Topic: About time I posted  (Read 1877 times)

Offline ceymore

• Live long and prosper
  • Active
About time I posted
« on: 04.12. 2010 16:16 »
Hi all from the sunny northwest and having read most posts on this site I figured it was time to put finger to keyboard and jump in.

My name is Cliff and I live between Wigan and Bolton (up north where the men are men and the pies are heavy) anyway I recently bought a 1962 A10 that requires a bit of love and attention, runs well and I've already done a couple of hundred miles before the weather put a stop to it. Also own a BMW 1200gs which me and her tour abroad every year, usually mainland Europe-ish, also a 1991 Yamaha Serow for my sins (absolutely great wee bike, does everything)
I bought the BSA rather than something other because BSA's are what I always rode, my last one was a beautiful looking Shooting Star registration PWH 1 sold it in 1969 for £85 and got my first car Austin A40 1959
Hope to put some photos on when I figure out what to do although there are so many pristine ones and not many "oily rag " ones so i may pass on that, mine is there to be used. At present she/he/it is in my garage without mudguards tank and boxes 'cos when I went to fill the tank I happened to spill some petrol on it and the paint washed off... not funny at the time but I intended to do it anyway, does anyone know the colour code or name, closest I can find is VW Mars red. *dunno*
Great place for info and photos etc, the posting on invisible A10s made me smile 'cos I find it the same, once you aquire a bike then they just come out of the woodwork and you find that there are lots more around than you thought but no-one ever rides them !!(to messy)

Great site.
Cheers  *beer*
Cliff
1952 Matchless G80s, 1962 A10, 1967 BSA Bantam D14, 1991 Xt225 Serow, 2007 GS1200 BMW, 1953 wife Brenda.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: About time I posted
« Reply #1 on: 04.12. 2010 18:31 »
G'day Cliff, welcome to the forum.
                                                    I think you still need to do 5 posts before you can put up a picture.
Funny how we seem to gravitate back to our youth as we get older and look for bikes we had then. My first road bike was a Rhonda Whore CB750F (I wanted an 1100 but not enough $) so now I have one. As a young lad a friends dad had an A10 that we would get rides on, so in '82 I got my "51 for a carton of beer and a tank of petrol. *smile*. Back then I gave it a quick paint job with spray cans. The first time I used degreaser it washed the paint off.
I'm sure someone here will have a paint code for you.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 04.12. 2010 23:34 »
Welcome, and a +1 karma for the very good introduction. Thanks for the positive words about the forum. Hoping you will enjoy our (99%) helpfull, peaceful & friendly place.

---------
muskrat wrote:
you still need to do 5 posts before you can put up a picture.
This was changed some time ago (note about it in News, Help & Info), as new members are heavily screened before admitted, no problems now with giving most permissions from day 1, including pictures and avatar.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Taffy

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 05.12. 2010 11:05 »
Hello Cliff,aBoltonion here maybee Arun out next year
a)if your available
b)my A10is running

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.12. 2010 11:37 »
Welcome Cliff, I'm from even further North  where men are men and pies compete with Stotties.

Is your A10 a Rocket? (alloy head) or a Flash in which case red would probably not be the original colour, not that it matters if  you want it red but I'm not sure there is a "proper " red for a late Flash so just choose one you like ( I have a feeling someone is going to correct me on this  *conf* *smiley4*)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline ceymore

• Live long and prosper
  • Active
« Reply #5 on: 05.12. 2010 14:04 »
Its just a bog standard A10 cast head Bill, it's in reasonable condition with various non original bits fitted, mudguards, fork gaitors, chrome headlight but it's just what I wanted, when I rode bikes back then I never did much maintenance and if an engine or box packed in I/we would just fit another one from a scrapper (yes it was me and my buddies back then that are pretty much responsible for most of the mismatches that you guys are riding *lol*) as a consequence I never really stripped a full bike down or rebuilt an engine, gearbox etc 'cos I didn't have time.. to bloody busy riding to be messing around with bits and pieces.
My A10 is perfectly good enough to ride regularly and it looks quite good from a distance so I'm trying not to go over the top but I do intend to improve it. I'm doing the paintwork red but having the boxes black, I know that's rocket colours but I let my better half choose the paintwork so thats that (she thinks she made the decision to buy the bike also but you gotta let them think it was their decision don't you, gives them a feeling of power *whistle*)
Thanks for the replies all and hope to have a ride out sometime, if I can prise the wife of the back that is.. it took 30 years to persuade her to try it and now I cant get rid of her. *cry*
 cheers *beer*

1952 Matchless G80s, 1962 A10, 1967 BSA Bantam D14, 1991 Xt225 Serow, 2007 GS1200 BMW, 1953 wife Brenda.

Offline sinbad

• Uk north west coast
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 06.12. 2010 19:33 »
Hi Cliff welcome, hoping to get my a10 on the road for next summer.Things are going well,not to far from you
in Blackpool freezing at the moment looking forward to the summer. Cheers .
Rod
1960 A10                             1998 Honda Cb 500
1953 sunbeam s7                   1988 Mz 250
1953 Nsu Consul 500 single        Jzr cx 500 Trike

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 07.12. 2010 11:21 »
OK Bill,
I'll be the fall guy.
What's a 'Stottie' then?
something like a 'Pykost' I'd guess.
cheers

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 07.12. 2010 11:42 »
Hi Olev
A Stottie cake is normally about 10 inches round and flat similar to "oven bottom bread" a heavy bread, name comes from the Geordie word stot (bounce)
 as they would if dropped.
Best ones are made by Greggs ( a Newcastle based baker )
Often eaten halved and filled with something, most popular probably ham and pease pudding ) pease pudding made from split yellow or Carlin peas)

Now is that anything like 'Pykost'
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 07.12. 2010 15:08 »

Often eaten halved and filled with something, most popular probably ham and pease pudding ) pease pudding made from split yellow or Carlin peas)

Even better saveloy & pease pudding as I used to get in the Haymarket many many years ago.

Oops sorry O/T.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 07.12. 2010 16:18 »
Now is that anything like 'Pykost'

Shucks - penny just dropped
All the best - Bill

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 08.12. 2010 08:40 »
Nearly had you there, Bill.
You just didn't ask quite the right way.
At least I know what a Stottie is now.
Between Stotties and Haggisses you must have cast iron guts.
cheers

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 08.12. 2010 10:25 »
But watch them turn green when they are told the hamburger was roo or emu. *eek* Yum, Yum, fresh road kill.
Ceymore,  get her one of her own, send her to tech for a small engine course and let her fettle the bikes.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7