Author Topic: New member Lincoln UK & maybe France  (Read 1778 times)

Offline redbeeza

• Moving Up
New member Lincoln UK & maybe France
« on: 07.08. 2010 15:43 »
 *ex*Hello All. Writing this from France where I am grafting on our newly acquired crumbly house, which is eating up far too much motorcycle enjoyment capital. The bike is over in England awaiting my return in the Autumn, when it will doubtless confound me again with its trickery. During lulls in the house grafting, my mind keeps wandering to the unsolved ignition problem I left the bike with in Spring, hence I found this place and will be crying for help!

I'm very much the novice at understanding the idiosyncricies of the British Motorcycle but I'm learning all the time. The bike is a 62 Super Rocket that I bought in a very rough state 3 years ago and have been trying to fix on and off since then. Haven't ridden it on the open road yet and each balmy summer's day causes me greater frustration of a riding day passed! Almost got it to an MOT test station in the Spring. It had been together and running sweetly in late Autumn, I'd even ridden it up and down the back garden path and across the lawn. But during a winter in the shed it developed an ignition problem (more of that later...). I'm sorry but I'll be another one of those question askers rather than a fount of knowledge. Starting with that ignition problem..
1962 A10 Super Rocket.  First Brit bike, first rebuild.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Re: New member Lincoln UK & maybe France
« Reply #1 on: 07.08. 2010 16:45 »
Hello Redbeeza welcome to the forum!

Well I'm just down the road from Lincoln, on the very south border of Lincolnshire itself. Give me a shout when your back home (Lincoln) and I'll gladly come up and have a look for you. I assume it is a magneto we are talking about? depending on how long the bike had been disused before you acquired it... The magneto may need a complete overhaul, but until we determine what is standard and what has been changed or added, we cant say much more.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 07.08. 2010 19:57 »
Welcome to the forum, many here will be glad to help you get it on the road. And even the forum moderator proposing to visit you!

As for the magneto, start by reading the Lucas & BSA service manuals (see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/board,17.0.html ), and search the forum for magneto & k2f, hundreds of posts in http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/board,23.0.html

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 07.08. 2010 21:46 »
G'day redbeeza, welcome to your new skool.
                                                                     I learn something new here every day. A friendly bunch only too glad to help.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #4 on: 08.08. 2010 00:25 »
Hiya Red....not to far from Lincoln myself...'bout 10 miles to the south. Mind you I know sod all about magnetos so no help from me!!
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
« Reply #5 on: 08.08. 2010 09:37 »
welcome red

im in the same boat as you as I too will be asking a lot more than advising, simply becouse I dont know enough , the lads on here are more than happy to advise which is great

My bike is meant to be a release from the pressures of running a painting and decorating business, so far I have boarded the loft and fitted a light for safe storage of the parts that come off, demolished side gate and built a strong secure gate thats wide enough to ride through and high enough to deter casual intruders

got the base down for the new workshop, im hoping to start work on the bike before winter sets in

what part of france are you in , just got back from perigord vert, lovely part of the country in the south west of france, did the usual builder thing and looked at property while I was there, got to think of my pension

mike
1959 BSA A7 SHOOTING STAR

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 08.08. 2010 13:14 »
Red,

Welcome. I predict that in about a year, maybe less, you will be giving advice to some other new owner on something you've run into and had to solve on your own. It does work that way around here. At the same time, there are some very experienced folks here who are an amazing and generous wealth of knowledge. I don't expect to ever match the experience of many of them.

You are fortunate to be somewhat close to LJ, it would be a great help to have a set of well-experienced eyes on matters.

(Mikethebrush, Aah! Now I get the name - painting and decorating!)

Richard L.

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 08.08. 2010 15:25 »
hello and welcome  *smile*

Offline redbeeza

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 08.08. 2010 15:30 »
Thank you all for the welcome messages! I will try to post some pics of the bike when I get back to Blighty; a 'before' and 'during'. It was a sort of hybrid A10/A65 when I bought it and it wasn't the shrewdest purchase I've ever made. I did the usual novice thing and fell for the gorgeous exhaust note and the handsome A10 styling, and managed to ignore the A65 mudguards and lights and the T100 headlamp brackets/fork shrouds. I've since learnt the importance of having the right tinware present! But as I'm not overly bothered about complete originality I still love the thing.

LJ. Thanks for the offer and will be in touch when back in UK (probably October/November). I'm a member of the Owners Club UK but don't know of anyone or any groups nearby Lincoln.

Will now post question re. my ignition timing/magneto problem on the relevant board. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 11.08. 2010 23:42 »
Hi Redbeeza
Welcome to the forum, you will find everyone very helpful as I have found.

I live at Newark so drop me a PM when you back, also I own a 1962 Super Rocket.

Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline redbeeza

• Moving Up
FAO NickSR: New member Lincoln UK & maybe France
« Reply #10 on: 18.08. 2010 13:42 »
Thanks for the message Nick, how can I get in touch when I'm back in UK?

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 19.08. 2010 22:51 »
Hi Red

If you go to my profile, my Email address is there, drop me line when you get back to Lincoln.

Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Vincent56

« Reply #12 on: 13.09. 2010 19:29 »
Hi Red,
Even more important - where abouts in France? I'm there for half my life too, but it's a big place!

Graham