Author Topic: Manufacturer & Part suppliers members  (Read 1484 times)

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Manufacturer & Part suppliers members
« on: 17.07. 2010 21:53 »
split from "Thorspark Electronic Ignition Conversion"

Err, the term "surreptitious advertising" comes to mind....
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Manufacturer & Part suppliers members
« Reply #1 on: 17.07. 2010 22:27 »
To clarify what may or may not be seen as free advertising. I'd think this kind of product description and info is very ok, like the electric starter posts, it has large and general interest, and having some direct contact with any manufacturer is a good thing.

Basically, I see it as product presentation and information (far from spam) and it's fine that people are getting business from hard work and good ideas.
e
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 18.07. 2010 10:09 »
To clarify what may or may not be seen as free advertising. I'd think this kind of product description and info is very ok, like the electric starter posts, it has large and general interest, and having some direct contact with any manufacturer is a good thing.

Basically, I see it as product presentation and information (far from spam) and it's fine that people are getting business from hard work and good ideas.

Okay, okay, accept that and totally agree with the benefits of direct contact.
Still I would be happy about a clear idenfitifcation marking for forum members or posts with commercial interest, so that it is clearly visible to anyone that this is NOT a field report of a happy customer. Using the corporate name as forum ID definitely is a good start.
We've had serious discussion about whether or not to create a section for parts and suppliers recommendations, I'd actually have more concerns about "business" members posting in self-interest. I've seen the results of this getting out of control on other forums, turning a formerly good source of information into an advertising rostrum.

Sorry 'bout going off-topic.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.07. 2010 11:41 »
No need to apologise MG, I know where your coming from ( ha see your not the only one with COOL speak)
Maybe Thorsparks mail and any like it should be in the for sale and wants section, in fact it might be useful to have a New Products section for traders to let us know of anything new that's as in NEW.
Something to discuss as we usually do
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 18.07. 2010 14:03 »
in fact it might be useful to have a New Products section for traders
Good idea

Still I would be happy about a clear identification marking for forum members or posts with commercial interest
Agree.

Using the corporate name as forum ID definitely is a good start.
S.R.McFarlane & Thorspark did the right thing, appreciated.

It's obvious that if the forum continue it's grow and visits increase it may be an interesting place for manufacturers\suppliers, and as we need them to keep our machines running let's make the best out of it. I'm sure there is a good way to combine the lot while avoiding any spam-posts or getting buried in annoying adverts etc., keep the suggestions coming and we'll work out the way ahead. If financing should ever be needed, I'd think a few donations from members will do it, not advertising (thanks to Richard (Md) for organizing a collect some years ago). As it is now this is not an expensive site to run, so no problem.

Thanks
e

"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 18.07. 2010 16:50 »
in fact it might be useful to have a New Products section for traders
Good idea
Yep, great idea.

I know where your coming from ( ha see your not the only one with COOL speak)
Oh yeah? Good one, dude! *lol*
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria