Author Topic: Oops!... I'm new here... What (sort of mess) have I got myself into?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline bikeaholic

• Active
Hi, my name is Ken and I'm a bikeaholic.

This is my story and why I have joined this group...

I have just agreed to purchase a 1952 Star Twin 500, in bits. Most of the main bits of the bike are present, but not the rear mudguard or the engine internals. The frame and engine numbers tally with the '52 model year, so I should be able to register it - shouldn't I?

I just couldn't help myself, you see I used to ride a BSA as a teen (see avatar/pic), but that was many summers and many bikes in the past.  I have had a yearning to get back into BSAs for a good many years now, but it seems that good ones command high prices...

Anyway, here I am wondering if I have made a wise decision...

I convinced myself that I should get a Beeza sooner rather than later.  There is a possibility that I might add a vintage sidecar to the bike at some time - I have a late 30s Swallow coachbult and an early 60s Monza Sport - I could get away with mounting the Monza on my '79 GS850, but the Swallow would look better on an older bike...

I lived in Canada most of my adult life, and as it happens only some 50 miles from the British Cycle Supply Company in NS.  I came to the UK in '06 and now live in Surrey.

I am surrounded by a bunch of other older bikes from Japan, Germany, France and the US - nothing particularly old or rare; I also have some old cars - a '55 Austin A30, a '55 Wolseley 4/44 and a '66 Austin A35 van; I restore old filling station gas/petrol pumps, and as you can probably tell, I spend a good amount of time banging things in my workshop; there is a nasty rumour going around that I was breast-fed engine oil as a baby, and run a sanctuary for old, unloved and unwanted motorcycles...

Anyway, so here I am!

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Hello there,
Welcome.
I'm sure you'll get along just fine.
I had a Starfire much the same as the one in your avataar. It was (still is) a fantastic wee bike.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi there and welcome
I think your in bracket that includes a lot of us ( had a BSA in my teens)
Costs a bit to get another bike but you can get them - unlike hair, smooth skin, instant recall and ...........................

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
Hi Ken and welcome to the forum. It is probably the best place in the whole wide world to get help and information.
You will be fine with registration - I just went through the process myself. You will need a dating certificate from the BSA Owners club - it is worth joining as you usually get a discount from your insurer which just about pays for the membership.
I am down in Kent and I also have a couple of Wolseleys - a 1971 16/60 and a 1939 14/60 so together with the Super Rocket I tend to spend a lot of time in the workshop or at shows on the weekends.
One word of advice before you start your restoration - be careful of the poor quality parts available nowadays and try to stick to reputable suppliers. The parts may cost a bit more but at least they fit and last longer. There are lots of horror stories on some of the back posts on here about some of the rubbish being sold. I usually ask for recommendations here on the forum before I buy parts.

Good luck with the resto - looking forward to seeing some pics. You can post some after five posts.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Ken,
                  Your not alone, everyone here is a bikeaholic. The good news is there's no known cure.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Hello Ken!

Welcome to the bunch here.
Building a bike from bits, heh? My deepest sympathy, I know what that means.
But in the end you will end up with a beautiful and reliable bike. And you will know each and every nut and bolt personally.  *smile*

In case you don't have it already, I would recommend getting the Roy Bacon book (BSA Twin Restoration). Great source of information with many contemporary photos.
The information that can't be found in there is available here on the forum, lots of friendly and helpful people here, you'll see.

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
welcome bikeaholic  ken you should have some fun on here mate  *smile*

dave