Author Topic: My BSA A7 ( well its more of a super rocket now )  (Read 1682 times)

Offline steve c

• Moving Up
  • 1960 A7 ( Now super rocket spec )
I have had this for about six years now, It came a bit of a wrecked incomplete project.
It had gone bang in 74 when the original owner John prior to me put the rods through the casings and the barrel in what must have been a spectacular seizure on the way to the isle of man.
John then brought a used 61 super rocket engine for £35 and half fitted it in the frame after doing the timing side bush, and left it in a damp shed for thirty years with the plugs out.
It was well seized by the time I stripped it. I being completely skint as usual. I completely hand stripped  all of the rust and paint with nitromors drills and emery to bare metal . I resprayed the frame parts with black  smooth rite and resprayed  the rest with maroon cellulose. I MiG welded new sections in the very rusty rear mudguard, I obtained bits of nacelle piece meal, previously all missing, re pro mudguard, built an enclosed chain case from rusty bits ( I had the front). Got TLS from America for £45 ( eBay). Had the wheels rebuilt. Built the engine with NOS he-polite 8.5 pistons, new cam, It came with a spare tank which had been re-chromed in the 70s which although rusty cleaned up fine with fine wire wool and oil. Roger at Cake street flogged me a used RGS SS exhaust with an insignificant mark for £45 ( which he polished out anyway) as the A65 one it came with clashed with the kick start when fitted. Thanks for that Roger, last year, the handmade steel front mudguard is from him (four years ago).
Rebuilt the gearbox, got a 4 plate clutch from a friend, worst £10 I ever spent as it never worked, now got a new one which seems much better. Had a dodgy mag rebuild currently waiting for it to be done properly. So far its been a dismal starter taking twenty odd kicks which is not funny with ms fatigue. Found out I had MS in 2007 slowing work greatly. Finally got it MOTd last May still needs fettling MS permitting. I normally build and ride sixties lambrettas but have always loved BSA except for a dislike of Bantams which don't suit  6 ft 2" 17 stone people well, as they look like toys under me.
Have only done twenty miles so far on the beezer due to various challenges,
Cant wait to get the damned thing right and enjoy it. Lambrettas are very cheap to do in comparison.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: My BSA A7 ( well its more of a super rocket now )
« Reply #1 on: 09.02. 2010 18:58 »
Welcome aboard ! 1st class job you've done on your bike.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 09.02. 2010 19:02 »
Steve,

Welcome to the forum and well, well done on the rebuild. Except for your lack of a wrecked front end, it reminds me a bit of my own, which sat from '79 to '03 before undertaking the 3-yr. (and still being improved upon) project.

Considering your endurance in getting the bike in shape, I believe you will probalby be a model to us and yours with regard to coping with your health. I wish you the best in that regard.

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.02. 2010 19:16 »
Welcome Steve - sounds like your not letting life get the better of you, and a nice bike at the end of it, well done

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 09.02. 2010 19:21 »
welcome steve to the forum lovely job you have done on her well done

dave

Offline steve c

• Moving Up
  • 1960 A7 ( Now super rocket spec )
« Reply #5 on: 12.02. 2010 13:24 »
thanks for the interest

best regards

steve