Author Topic: New Member - another belated introduction..!  (Read 963 times)

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
New Member - another belated introduction..!
« on: 18.02. 2010 20:01 »
Dear all,
Having strayed into this section by chance I realise that it is customary to introduce yourself to the Forum -  apologies for only having done this after posting various questions etc!

I guess I'm of similar vintage to many here (1950) and have followed the typical pattern of 2 wheels followed by four, family etc and back to 2 again.

I started at 16 with a Lambretta LD150 (have you seen what these things fetch now??) , followed by a tuned TV175. Seeing the light I bought a 350 RE Bullet for £10 which I loved. It did have one foible though - it ran for exactly one hour & stopped. After an hours rest it went again.. Long trips were planned with cafes & pubs about an hour apart.. I realise now that it was the mag, in those days it was simply too expensive to find out what was wrong!! This was sadly replaced by a Triumph unit T100, horrid thing really, never liked it...

Apart from a Suzuki moped used for commuting in the mid 70's  nothing happened until 1995. A good friend was a member of the local AMOC and invited me along to a club meeting.. That was it really, the Viper followed shortly in place of the AJS or Matchless I was looking for (they have forgiven me long ago!) & various other  bikes since. Some have gone (the fast uncomfortable ones with back-unfriendly riding positions - Laverda 650 Sport IE, Gilera Nuovo Saturno etc), others stayed.
Some are still in bits years after purchase, friends in the AMOC used to refer to my garage as "the place bikes go to die".....
I'm still known there as "Ady Nolights" after the Velocette's charging circuit decided to have a rest.. It still is resting years later I'm afraid and despite my other bikes all having lighting ever since the name stuck...

A local club member bought a '56 Flash & I always admired it.. So a plan was hatched, swapping the ultra-reliable, fast and wonderfully noisy (illegal exhaust officer?) VFR400 for the BSA A10 I planned to ride in its place... As you will see from posts in the "tech" area, the rest is history, so far the A10 is none of these things.

However frustrating it is at present the BSA is growing on me strongly & I'm looking forward to doing many happy miles on it...

Thanks again for all your help and friendly support so far, I look forward to being a regular member here..

All the best,

Adrian

Long Ashton
Nr Bristol...
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
Re: New Member - another belated introduction..!
« Reply #1 on: 18.02. 2010 22:20 »
hi Adrian again welcome to the forum a very useful site full of knowledge

dave

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: New Member - another belated introduction..!
« Reply #2 on: 18.02. 2010 22:31 »
Always nice to read such presentations. Thanks and welcome.
e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"