Author Topic: Club members and age  (Read 1754 times)

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
Club members and age
« on: 18.03. 2010 21:39 »
This is, i supose ,prompted by the other thread that is running regarding Age difference between bikes and owners.
My friend Steve who joined the VMCC when he was about 18 and is a keen club man told me recently that when he joined back then,  he was the youngest member in his local branch.
Today ,25 years later ,he still is! Apart from his 14 yr old son.
 I wonder how other clubs fare? Maybe its a VMCC thing.
  I was pleasantly surprised to read that there are so many younger BSA enthusiasts.
Mike

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
Re: Club members and age
« Reply #1 on: 25.03. 2010 01:12 »
I feel bad that nobody has replied to this, so decided to keep it allive and respond to it.

Im 28  ;)

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 25.03. 2010 10:57 »
Unfortunately I can only comment on the state of the BSA Owners' Club because that is the only club of which I am a member.

Yes, the BSAOC does have younger members and these youngsters are appreciated.  Without them the club will not survive.

I believe that the BSAOC is a more family orientated club and the two major events of the year reflect this.  The "National Rally and Open Day" has become immensely popular amongst the members since the move from the traditional rugby site type venues to that of a Theme Park.  Camping is still popular amongst the stalwarts but an increasing number of members are bringing along their children and grand-children with caravans and motor homes becoming the norm for accommodation.  Here the children mix with each other and make friends to the extent that they contact each other via email and Facebook and look forward to meeting up with each other again the following year.  I suppose that this is called moving with the times.

The "International Rallies" are much the same but not on such a large scale.  In particular, those held in Europe attract a certain number of families and it is not unusual to find several nationalities mixing together.  In fact there were children of about eight nationalities got together and played an organised game of football (soccer) at an International Rally held in Scotland.  This was where I first heard the comment that "these youngsters are the Club's future".  

In fact, the BSAOC has an annual award (James Sapsford Memorial Trophy), awarded to an under 25 year old who uses his or her bike the most to attend organised events.

Yes, as I stated earlier, the BSAOC has younger members.  They are appreciated and hopefully will be the members of the future who keep the marque alive.  However, it's the parents and grand-parents who introduce them to club life who should also be given credit where it's due.

Beezageezauk.              

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 26.03. 2010 13:25 »
Unfortunately i put this topic in the wrong section by mistake.Meant to put it in "stories and chat"
MN

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 26.03. 2010 20:06 »
G'day Mike,
               I'm a comity member of Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club and our members range from 80+ to 16. A few father/son and family memberships. It is pleasing to see the younger folk with interest in our old weapons.
Although we are a classic club we accept anyone with an interest in old bikes and welcome any bike on our rides.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 12.04. 2010 13:48 »
Im 28 also

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #6 on: 13.04. 2010 00:52 »
I can remember being 28, does that count ?????????

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 14.04. 2010 17:57 »
i just realised ive responded to this twice lol

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 30.04. 2010 11:16 »
BSAMCC of NSW Members range from 38 to 86.
Oldest riding member is now 83
I am a tad short of 60 & my oldest bike is a 1926 Round Tank ( TBR )
Bike Beesa
Trevor