Author Topic: Oil pump gasket - thoughts  (Read 733 times)

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Oil pump gasket - thoughts
« on: 12.10. 2024 12:00 »
My new SRM oil pump gasket has arrived and now so have the (e-bay) 25/32 spanners so I'm good to go swapping out the oil pump gasket.
My question is - inner case on or off?  I'd like to leave the inner case on if I can and avoid disturbing the dynamo drive and pulling off the sprocket.
Any advice please.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Oil pump gasket - thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 12.10. 2024 12:17 »
I've changed ,cleaned the oil pump many times without removing the inner .From memory its handy and easy to remove the front stud to disengage it from the drive splines .Think I had to do this once by the roadside >
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 12.10. 2024 12:24 »
So did you pull the suds and leave the worm gear on the crank?  I was assuming I'd have to take that off and work the pump off with the gear.
Thanks
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 12.10. 2024 17:01 »
OK it done, it was easier than I thought with the inner cover on, thanks for pointing me that way.  Pump nuts were not very tight and the gasket was poor - a real cheap one but all I had at the time.  I lapped the pump face and I think I've got a much better seal so I'll see how the wet sumping goes over the next week.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Ewen

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 12.10. 2024 23:12 »
Make sure you clean the pump thoroughly.
My friend just did an A10 rebuild. He had the cases bead blasted and can't have cleaned them thoroughly enough because the crank seized on the timing bush.

1957 Goldflash
1977 Bonneville
2005 BMW GS1200
Suzuki GN125

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 12.10. 2024 23:24 »
Yes, I put paper towel in the ports for the lapping and plugged the ports in the engine. Lots of brake cleaner too and some pipe cleaners. Used hylomar but not happy so cleaned it all off and did it again.  Knowing myself I'd bought 2 gaskets, should have bought 3 as I managed to damage one.  I'm a bit obsessive about grit, when I got my cases / crank back from the machine shop they were far from grit free and I spent hours pocking out every nook and cranny.  The machining was good but I would have expected parts to come back clean, perhaps I'm expecting too much?
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #6 on: 13.10. 2024 12:23 »
when bsa drilled all the oil ways they put ally plugs in and when my cases for the berger build were blasted i drilled out the plugs and made sure there was nothing left hiding using petrol and spiral brushes and compressed air, the plug above the prv was hiding lots of nasties and the oil ways coated in the black crud from the oil . i then tapped out the holes and made screw in ally plugs, jobs a gooden.