Author Topic: Gearbox indexing  (Read 225 times)

Offline jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Gearbox indexing
« on: 12.09. 2024 19:43 »
After taking the gearbox covers off to tackle an oil leak I had terrible problems changing gears.  I took the outer cover off to see if I could find the problem without success. I had aligned the dots that looked ok but I checked that the gearbox was in neutral. It was not yet I thought the dots were well aligned. See photo. I put the box into neutral using a lever and although the dots had moved they still looked aligned. See next photo. The gearbox problems are now cured.

Possibly because of wear, the dots are not a great indicator of correct alignment. Better to check that you are in neutral before tightening the inner cover.

Someone please tell me if I have the wrong end of the stick on this one.

John

1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Gearbox indexing
« Reply #1 on: 12.09. 2024 20:38 »
G'day John.
You must have the box in neutral before putting the inner cover on with the dots aligned. Your dots look good to me.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.09. 2024 16:31 »
 Unlike the plunger gearbox design, the S/A Camplate is "geared" to the rocking selector quadrant. In other words once assembled, the two have a constant relationship. On the plunger box the spring loaded claw changes position in relation to the camplate, assembly here is usually easier.

So with a S/A box assembled with the gears and camplate in neutral, there is a 1 in 3 chance you get it right first time...one tooth up, smack on, one tooth down. Use the dots as a starting guide and be prepared to experiment. I don't think some are placed as accurately as we think.

Swarfy.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 13.09. 2024 16:58 »
There was a bad batch of quadrants made.