Author Topic: Time to sell XA7 280  (Read 309 times)

Offline Brandis

• A's Good Friend
Time to sell XA7 280
« on: 07.08. 2024 15:39 »
Yes, at the tender age of 77, I'm tired of calling up my grandson to come over and kickstart it for me.   It's a 'keep the patina' job, mainly do to see If I could find all the missing engine innards.  Speedo doesn't work.
So the trick here is for me to find a buyer who will pay extra for the oldest BSA twin that I've been able to locate.  There has to be some BSA fanatic out there.   And there is the cost of shipping from North Carolina.
AND, living out here in Harley wasteland, I need some advice on what it's worth given that this is not a panic sale.

Thanks
47 A7

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: Time to sell XA7 280
« Reply #1 on: 07.08. 2024 15:55 »
I sold a Harley here in the UK a few years ago and had a similar problem trying to value it.  Two things worked:

1 searching e-bay and looking at what was being asked and what was selling, far from the same thing!

2 Talking to a local bike dealer who offered a commission sale deal.  He took 20% but he offered finance and warranty to buyers and he had a good on-line shop so he could charge at least 20% more than I could as a private seller.

In the end I opted for the commission sale with the dealer.  He gave me a choice, fast sale or wait and see what you can get.  I went for "wait and see" so he priced high, monitored hits then made a small reduction every 3 months. In the end it took near on a year to sell but I ended up clearing slightly more than the price I was going to list it at on e-bay (and no e-bay fees) with a great deal less hassle. No buyers, silly questions or returns, just a payment.

So if you are in no rush consider a commission sale with a dealer who specializes in British bikes.  At the beginning I balked at the 20%, at the end I thought he'd really earned the money and it was good value.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.08. 2024 07:33 »
 This bike may be of interest to a UK based Motor Museum, certainly our National Motorcycle Museum springs to mind. The story of it's neglect and final renovation to working order is bread and butter  copy to the Classic mags, so another couple of avenues to explore.

International Auction Houses also something to consider, but as always the cost of the sale comes with hefty fees.

Swarfy

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 15.08. 2024 08:18 »
The NMM would have it in a heartbeat...if you delivered it to their door gift-wrapped and for free.
Same as Miller in the New Forest.