Author Topic: truing drum brakes with emery cloth.  (Read 322 times)

Offline frogeye1000

• Active
truing drum brakes with emery cloth.
« on: 20.08. 2024 15:43 »
Hi chaps.

Bit of a simple question, I want to tru my newly laced drums up using emery cloth stuck to the shoes. i've read a few posts on the topic but none mention what glue is used to stick the abrasive sheet/cloth to the shoes. is it just contact adheisive.

I assume when the drum is tru, the sheet/cloth is peeled off the shoes and stuck to the inside of the drum to dress the shoes back up.

Thanks

Richard.
62 SR

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: truing drum brakes with emery cloth.
« Reply #1 on: 20.08. 2024 16:38 »
Use old shoes?  If new ones how about double sided tape?
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.08. 2024 17:05 »
In the US, I would say Pliobond. Not sure if it's available in UK, or under that name. I'd say, only if using the old, disposable, shoes (or, at least, disposable friction material), because the paper won't be coming off cleanly.

Richard L.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.08. 2024 21:50 »
Emery or other abrasive paper removes rust and corrosion, it doesn't take off sufficient material to true a distorted drum.
This needs to be done properly in a lathe.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 21.08. 2024 09:03 »
Yes and done properly the shoes are then set on a face plate and turned to match the new drum dia.  I would clean the drum and check it, if its not out of round leave it alone.  I had a pressed 7" front a B31 go out of round and need turning but in the end I swapped it for the cast 8" which is much stronger.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline frogeye1000

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 22.08. 2024 12:29 »
thanks for replies. mine is a full width 8" drum. the shoes have just been relined. its the first time ive ridden it since buying it. you can feel and see the forks knocking back as they judder under braking. using emery is a costless way of trying to remedy the problem. if it fails then i'll go down the machining route.

richard.
62 SR

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 22.08. 2024 12:51 »
You should also check that there is no play within the fork lug and brake plate slot, if there is try some packing strip
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.08. 2024 16:21 »
  Worth  checking headstock bearings are correctly adjusted, originals are cup and cone type. Judder also a symptom of worn fork bushes, and you can also drain out the inevitable mix of oil and water in the lower sliders and replace with nice new oil.

BSA Service Sheets 706 and 713 tell all. Find them in the Forum Literature Section.

As for the drum and linings, with some use the high spots will show, or they can be identified by marking the lining with chalk.  Eliminating these should improve brake performance.

Swarfy.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 22.08. 2024 17:36 »
using emery is a costless way of trying to remedy the problem.
richard.

Dunno about "costless" but "worthless" definitely. *smile*
If you really want to give it a go you can buy a pack of self-adhesive discs for sanders etc from Ebay for about a fiver. Cut into the required width and stick to the shoes.
You could also use them to take the high spots off the linings by sticking them inside the drum braking surface.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 22.08. 2024 17:49 »
Don’t bother with the emery. Been there done that, won’t work…
Took the complete wheel minus tire to a workshop nearby. Took ‘em 15 minutes to turn out the drum for €25. Never had a better brake.
Mind you, it’s a real big workshop with huge machinery but they take on any kind of work. The more challenging it is, the more they like it. Lucky me…  *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium