Author Topic: Starting A10  (Read 1086 times)

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: Starting A10
« Reply #15 on: 04.06. 2024 07:58 »
Check the plugs and make sure its not running lean as overheating will not help the mag or carb.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #16 on: 04.06. 2024 13:04 »
also on a maggy subject make sure you are not using resistor plugs or caps.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 04.06. 2024 23:02 »
If the magneto has the original windings it is time for a rewind.

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.06. 2024 09:15 »
Not always so, in my experience. A new capacitor would be very likely, but I normally (unless the armature is obviously duff) change to an Easi-cap first before getting a rewind done, and the mag usually works fine after that.
For the low cost of an Easi-cap vs the high cost of a rewind, it's worth a go.

Offline cbrosolo

• Active
« Reply #19 on: 05.06. 2024 23:35 »
Hi all, I made up new leads and plug caps, and got rid of the resistor type caps that were on the bike. I did not think it had a capacitor, if so, where would it be?
also, excuse my ignorance, but what is an Easi-cap?
 Thanks for everyone's help, regards Bros
58 SR

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #20 on: 06.06. 2024 01:13 »
The capacitor is buried in the armature so, unless you completely dismantled the mag, you wouldn't see it. You can test the windings by putting a multimeter across the brass strip on the slip ring and earth. You should get about 5000 ohms resistance. Open circuit means that there is a break in the windings or poor contact between the windings and slip ring, or maybe poor contact between the earth brush and the armature. Even if you get the correct resistance, it is also possible that the insulation is less than adequate on an original coil. You can't test this without removing the capacitor. An Easi-Cap is an outboard capacitor supplied by 'Bright Spark'. 'Groily' of this forum is the proprietor so it is better I let him give you the detail. At the very least you really should find out if your armature is original, including the capacitor. If it is the original armature and capacitor it is beyond its expected service life by at least 50 years. When restoring an old bike, most experienced restorers would treat the magneto as a priority and get it inspected, by somebody who knows what they're looking at, at the very least.

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 06.06. 2024 01:54 »
Thanks for the reply's, I think I'm going to go with a new Amal premium carb, I can get for a reasonable price, as I think the slide is worn out on this one as well, at least I will be able to eliminate 1 x potential problem.
 Also a new one will be shiny, LOL.
measure the intake port make sure you get the correct size many places  will jet to specs for the year and model

Online sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 06.06. 2024 02:01 »
Hi all, I’m new to this forum and have just purchased a Super Rocket 1958, I had the bike running for a few minutes, but then could not restart it, I removed the plugs and they were dry and I had spark, after 1/2 an hour of kicking it and tickling the carby it would not start and the plugs were still dry, could it be the Amal Concentric carby problem, or weak spark, or is there a sequence I should follow when starting it, any help for a novice would be greatly appreciated, thank you
my super rocket usually starts first kick [ new amal carb and rebuilt mag ] retard the manual lever about 1/2 its travel , tickle carbs till fuel runs out, open throttle 1/4 and kick .,...make sure you have new gas , and a good spark  , and return the lever to advanced .

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #23 on: 06.06. 2024 05:57 »
Send me a PM by all means cbrosolo if you want info on the EasyCaps available and how to fit them for the first time - or go to www.brightsparkmagnetos.com.
I agree with everything CheeserB and Trevinoz have said.
Cheers, Bill
Bill

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 06.06. 2024 23:24 »
Bill,
I found out the hard way that old magnetos need a complete overhaul, even if they throw a good spark.
Apparently Lucas didn't vacuum varnish the armatures as my good friend Zochy informs me. He finds all sorts of corrosion when he strips them out. Add to that the modern insulation available and the enamel on the wire is much tougher than the old stuff. Way back when I was an apprentice the enamel was fairly easy to scrape off but now it is a real pain, usually takes two or three attempts to get nice clean copper.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #25 on: 07.06. 2024 07:08 »
First thing I do with any machine Trev, regardless of what the vendor tells me about its state, is strip the mag, test cold and HOT at all speeds, using a 'utilty factor' as a proxy for dirty plugs, carbony valves etc etc, and do whatever it needs or might think of needing. Including getting the firing interval right on K2Fs / KVFs - which is so often neglected.
It's nice to be able to do it in my own shed, I know, but if I couldn't I'd still farm the things out to people who can and who have the kit.

Nothing works for ever though, so we should be aware that 'Fit and Forget' is not a plan. Mags needs some level of maintenance, even if it's just checking the contact breaker and brushes now and again. It's amazing to me how long Lucas (and other) originals lasted with the materials of the day, to be honest - I wonder if modern rewinds will do as well. My oldest rewind is only about 15 years old, too young to tell!

I have been interested reading the hassle folk have had with short life sparking plugs of late. I don't know if it's just luck, but I rarely seem to need to replace plugs. I have a feeling we get quite good E5 98 petrol here, especially from Total - maybe that's something to do with it, I don't know. Or maybe I don't need them because I always have a spare pair about me! (It's like clutch and throttle cables, they only seem to break when you haven't got one pre-routed for a quick change  . . . .)
Bill

Offline cbrosolo

• Active
« Reply #26 on: 07.06. 2024 07:19 »
I'm going to remove the Mag this weekend and get it checked out by a https://rowanbebbingtonmagneto.com/  should have done this in the first place instead of bothering everyone on the forum, thanks to all
58 SR

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #27 on: 07.06. 2024 08:36 »
G'day Bros.
Never a bother mate. Besides someone else may glean some info for their problem.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7