Author Topic: Clutch plates  (Read 451 times)

Online Craigy

• A's Good Friend
Clutch plates
« on: 04.05. 2024 15:52 »
Hi guys,

Following on from my last post re clutch plate shroud (now fixed - thanks)

I took a few pics before I removed the clutch plates - showing the outer plate being a steel plate.

This means that the inner most plate (against the casing), is a friction plate. - 5x steel plates, 5 x friction plates

Is this correct?

Thanks Craig
52 GF, 59 GF

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: Clutch plates
« Reply #1 on: 04.05. 2024 16:21 »
No, there should be one more plain plate than friction plates.  The inner plain plate sits on the flange on the centre.  Does yours have the cush drive or plain centre?
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Craigy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 04.05. 2024 23:12 »
Sorry I’m not sure, see attached pic.

Would being a plate short cause damage?

Thanks
52 GF, 59 GF

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 05.05. 2024 10:02 »
One plate short won't do any damage but it will make the clutch less efficient.
A bonded plate will sit with its tangs on the outer basket but won't touch the basket's surface so will flex a bit.
As Limeyrob said, the first one should be plain and slightly thicker but the thicker ones are like the proverbial hens teeth. Most use a regular plain plate as first.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.05. 2024 10:32 »
  My parts book from 1961 shows 5 lined and 6 plain, (42 3195) so no difference in the plain plates according to this publication. So starting with a plain plate, alternating lined and plain gives you a top plain plate under the pressure plate.

PO could have read the wrong book...Haynes is particularly poor, diagrams show 6 spring and Triumph type 4 spring, but text refers to Plunger type and 6 spring.

Swarfy.

Online Craigy

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 05.05. 2024 12:50 »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

The bike has done less than 1,000 miles since rebuild 2 years ago. I’m completely new to old bike (hence all the questions), but have always thought the clutch was slipping a bit when opening the throttle at speed. maybe this was the cause.

I only stripped it down (learning every day), because there was a tinny rattle inside of the primary case, which turned out to be the shroud with had parted company with the clutch basket.

I think I’m also correct in working out that it has been converted to RGS 4 spring clutch at some point.

Cheers
52 GF, 59 GF

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 05.05. 2024 19:57 »
Not having a plain plate as the inner will leave the innermost friction plate free to rattle about so the extra plain plate should solve that problem.
Slough 59 GF/SR