Author Topic: Any difference in oil filter housings ?  (Read 747 times)

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
Re: Any difference in oil filter housings ?
« Reply #15 on: 07.05. 2024 11:25 »
Hi Limeyrob, I agree with you except for the bit "This means the rocker oil feed may be less with a filter in the return". As the oil pump is positive displacement, then the filter has no effect on the oil volume returning (unless it is blocked). The ratio of oil flow to Tank vs Rockers depends solely on the relative resisitances to flow of the tank outlet hole size at the top of the tank inner steel tube vs. the rocker banjo orifice size. If they are still standard hole sizes, then the rockers will be getting the designed oil flow.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 07.05. 2024 11:37 »
Don't give me headache while I'm on my coffee break *smile*
I fear you are right, volume is the same, pressure drop across filter may be irrelevant because the downstream side is set by the height of the stack pipe and hole at the top, its the upstream pressure that's higher not the down stream lower.
Back of the class for me :!
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #17 on: 07.05. 2024 12:50 »
my oil feed to rockers is after the filter and i have a clear piece of tube fitted, the oil flow is not restricted at all and looks the same as before the filter was fitted. same set up with clear tube

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 07.05. 2024 21:25 »
my oil feed to rockers is after the filter and i have a clear piece of tube fitted, the oil flow is not restricted at all and looks the same as before the filter was fitted. same set up with clear tube

That’s sounds an idea. My issue is I only had the bike a week & put just 60-80klm on it, i checked it had ample oil & return before riding every time then I went to change the oil & found all the metal. I do honestly believe the chap whom sold it to me had no idea. He wasn’t that sort of chap yet barely knew what model A10 it was.

So it’s been away from me being rebuilt since & it’s coming back soon & I wanted to get everything bought & ready for it as soon as it’s back re oil filter fitment. I don’t have the bike in front of me so assuming yours is the same then I should be fine 👍

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 07.05. 2024 21:27 »
Hi Limeyrob, I agree with you except for the bit "This means the rocker oil feed may be less with a filter in the return". As the oil pump is positive displacement, then the filter has no effect on the oil volume returning (unless it is blocked). The ratio of oil flow to Tank vs Rockers depends solely on the relative resisitances to flow of the tank outlet hole size at the top of the tank inner steel tube vs. the rocker banjo orifice size. If they are still standard hole sizes, then the rockers will be getting the designed oil flow.
Col

Tks Col great info 👍

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket