Author Topic: Bsa A10 tank match color  (Read 842 times)

Offline yar

• Active
  • coming soon
Bsa A10 tank match color
« on: 15.02. 2024 05:24 »
 Hi can anybody advise on a car paint ,as a close match to the Sapphire Blue BSA used for 1959 super Rocket at present tank is painted black with gold liner and I was wanting to get back to at least a close color to Sapphire blue for the year
 Thanks for any suggestions Yar  I'm In South Australia
Bike Tragic 59 SR
South Oz

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Bsa A10 tank match color
« Reply #1 on: 15.02. 2024 09:23 »
 FORD Europe offered a Sapphire Blue Metallic in the early '70's, but in fact any bodyshop will have colour swatches and formulae for every colour you could chose. Search out the colour of your choice at any supermarket parking lot and ask the bodyshop or paint supplier fella to show you the blues for that particular make and model. Then it's a case of a custom mix or an off the shelf item depending on what's available or how much you need.

I've never had much success with modern Acrylic touch in aerosols. The paint never seems to have the same durability as good old Cellulose (frowned upon these days for home use). Two Pack is even more hazardous, but far more durable.

Swarfy.

Online MikPowl

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 15.02. 2024 10:09 »
There's some stuff about 'Saphire Blue' on the BSAOC forum: https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/bsaoc_forum/index.php?topic=3461.0
It seems that there's no official record of the actual 'mix' for this colour.  BSA also seem to refer it to as 'Nutley Blue' which is the name used on the RS Paints site.  That RS Paints site also shows the 'standard' colour for a Super Rocket as Royal (Regal?) Red  but BSA offered a range of alternatives, I believe. The article in the forum above says that the shade offered by RS looks too pale and 'pasteley'. Sorry, not a lot of use to you but an interesting topic.

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 15.02. 2024 21:19 »
There's some stuff about 'Saphire Blue' on the BSAOC forum: https://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/bsaoc_forum/index.php?topic=3461.0
It seems that there's no official record of the actual 'mix' for this colour.  BSA also seem to refer it to as 'Nutley Blue' which is the name used on the RS Paints site.  That RS Paints site also shows the 'standard' colour for a Super Rocket as Royal (Regal?) Red  but BSA offered a range of alternatives, I believe. The article in the forum above says that the shade offered by RS looks too pale and 'pasteley'. Sorry, not a lot of use to you but an interesting topic.
I believe in the 60s they sprayed a lacquer paint over a silver base coat .....from what I have read up on it there were variations in shades between different shifts at the factory ......if you have an original part any paint supply shop can camera match it and come up with a formula .

Online jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #4 on: 17.02. 2024 22:15 »
I used RS nutley blue.  I get a lot of remarks on how good it looks. My first A10 many years ago used Ford electric blue.  I thought it was good. Someone mention using Skoda blue but I think this is too dark.

I produced a painting schedule for the paint shop I am happy to share although it reflects my preferences rather than BSA specifications, although I did loads of research for it.

I have heard that BSA used to make up a new batch of paint every day, often these varied in shade so different components could end up slightly different colour.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #5 on: 18.02. 2024 01:54 »
Hi John, interested to know how/what you used to get the gold coachline around the tank chrome/paint joint please?? also anybody else with ideas pls...
There was some debate on this topic a while back using tape(s), I tried that and failed, similarly hand painting is too hard for arthritic hands!! *sad2*

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 18.02. 2024 02:05 »
Hi John, interested to know how/what you used to get the gold coachline around the tank chrome/paint joint please?? also anybody else with ideas pls...
There was some debate on this topic a while back using tape(s), I tried that and failed, similarly hand painting is too hard for arthritic hands!! *sad2*
3m fine line pinstriping tape can be painted over with clear coat

Online jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #7 on: 18.02. 2024 07:49 »
I am ashamed to say that the gold lining was original. My original tank was a bit bashed up and although I had the chrome removed and it could have been straightened out and rechromed I found a cheaper tank on eBay in good condition but red.  The paint shop preserved the gold line although I do need to touch it up.  A job for when I get around to it.

When reading up on pinstripe lines I think they spray the line then mask the line whilst they paint the main colour. Not possible as an after paint task.

I coated the tank in oil and preserved it. Not sure why.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #8 on: 19.02. 2024 01:17 »
thanks for the thoughts, I tried the 3m pinstriping but couldn't get it straight and flat as it went around the curves, again arthritic hands unsteady maybe - do you have a technique Sean??

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 19.02. 2024 01:55 »
thanks for the thoughts, I tried the 3m pinstriping but couldn't get it straight and flat as it went around the curves, again arthritic hands unsteady maybe - do you have a technique Sean??
Only other option would be to lay a gold base mask it off then the blue paint still need to keep the lines straight .
Any friends or family that could help out.?
I always start and end on the bottom so you cant see and cut the beginning and ends on a 45.

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 15.04. 2024 20:45 »

Didn’t wish to hijack a thread yet thought it pertinent to post here re keeping subjects together

Was the 1960 Super Rocket (non export model) ever avail in black ? Searched a lot & have seen black 1960 SR’s yet paint code searches state Royal Red only

I’m about to get my chair painted & the chap said it’s only a few bob more if I take the guards / tank off my bike & paint them black also. I like black yet I don’t like colours that were not original to the bike

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 15.04. 2024 22:10 »
The 1960 SR was available in Royal Red, Princess Grey or black. See under finish in the below page from the 1960 home catalogue.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 15.04. 2024 22:13 »
Paint the chair red to match the bike.  There's too many black chairs about.  Its a lovely chair by the way, looks really good nick.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 15.04. 2024 22:35 »
Paint the chair red to match the bike.  There's too many black chairs about.  Its a lovely chair by the way, looks really good nick.

👍 I’m starting to lean that way after a think over it to be honest. I’ve had a lot of bikes & I will take an original any day over colour changes. But yeah I get it..lots of black out there

I will recover the chair seat black though I think

It’s a brand new chair. Made in Poland to Steib drawings now apparently. I literally don’t fit in it though as I’m 6’3 with size 12 boots. My lady will fit easily though

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket