Author Topic: DA10A alternator model wiring diagram  (Read 529 times)

Online Nomad54

• 🏴
  • Moving Up
DA10A alternator model wiring diagram
« on: 29.12. 2023 02:15 »
I am looking for a wiring diagram for a police model A10. Also the Lucas lighting switch model or connection diagram. I believe the switch had some type of resistor fitted across some terminals but up until now I can find no info regarding this. Any info would be appreciated as this beast seems to be a rareity.
BSA 1963 A10A
Stirlingshire
Scotland

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: DA10A alternator model wiring diagram
« Reply #1 on: 29.12. 2023 12:16 »
No resistor, just coil switching via the headlamp switch.

Service sheet 813A, attached as PDF,  explains and provides a wiring diagram for 6 volt dynamo/alternator A10.

Online Nomad54

• 🏴
  • Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 29.12. 2023 19:14 »
Thanks for that Julian it gives me some light on the subject. It looks like some time someone has mucked about with the wiring as there is no dynamo on the bike and everything is run off a 2 wire 12v alternator via a voltage regulator with bulbs upgraded to 12v. Magneto runs ignition. At the moment the bike is scattered all over the workshop with every part needing restored. I'm not sure how I am going to eventually run the electrics/ignition but I will add the info you gave me to the workbook, I am sure it will come in handy.
Tom
BSA 1963 A10A
Stirlingshire
Scotland

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 29.12. 2023 19:58 »
Can you just run the later 12V A65 set up with the rectifier and Zenner?  Its simple and works.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 30.12. 2023 07:11 »
It looks like some time someone has mucked about with the wiring as there is no dynamo on the bike and everything is run off a 2 wire 12v alternator via a voltage regulator with bulbs upgraded to 12v.

Can you just run the later 12V A65 set up with the rectifier and Zenner?  Its simple and works.

The mucker-abouter has maybe done quite a good thing already if running with a decent combined rectifier / regulator. 'Better' than a zener diode to be honest and just as simple. Probably worth identifying exactly what bits you've got, and what version of alternator stator before investing hard-earned.

If a lot of power is still going to be needed to support a radio etc, then I'd have thought a really good bet if originality isn't essential would be to fit a three-phase alternator for its low- and mid-range grunt, with a reg/rect to match.

Lots of ways to skin the AC 'lectrics cat, mostly better than original in terms of managing loads and battery, and all of them eliminating half a tin of spaghetti hoops in the headlamp nacelle etc.
However, the dynamo (dummy or just a blanking plate at least) will obvs be needed to make things look right and block the big hole!

Bill