Author Topic: protuding pistons  (Read 451 times)

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
protuding pistons
« on: 17.11. 2023 16:48 »
limeyrob you say the pistons shouldn't come above the barrel ? well mine have in the bike i've owned 43 years and in this engine i'm building *conf2*

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: protuding pistons
« Reply #1 on: 17.11. 2023 17:52 »
Apologies, I meant the top of the skirt / squish band, I've not put Plasticine on the valve cutouts so I'm not sure how much room there is to play with.  Your pistons look to be about 1/32 below the joint face, the rest of course in inside the hemi.  Years ago a mte built a track bike. He got the highest pistons he could find, they hit the head so he got a coarse file and filed unitil they didn't plus a bit more by the plugs.  Annoyed me intensely but it went like stink.
Next time I'll be more precise *smile*
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.11. 2023 18:01 »
limeyrob  *conf2*  the skirt is the bottom of the piston  , do you mean the piston ring band shouldn't come above the cylinder wall? the squish band is meant to be above or it's a waste of time having it

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 17.11. 2023 20:56 »
You're embarrassing me now *smile*.  yes I meant the top ring land. But the squish band would still need clearance to the head, of course not on a hemi like the A10 but I've recently rebuilt a Perkins diesel and its flat piston, flat head, perhaps that got into to my mind *conf*.  Call me old fashioned but I'm not comfortable with the top land going into the gasket thickness (which is perhaps what I should have said in the first place).
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.11. 2023 21:26 »
haha don't fret, i had a thought about diesel and was going to say are you on about a diesel engine because i remember doing a shogun years ago and after i had the head skimmed i had to fit a thicker gasket. don't worry i embarrass myself every day , but when i go to the pub and tell em straight i get punched *eek* *eek* *beer*