Author Topic: A10 Scrambler squeal on start up  (Read 503 times)

Offline farmerjohn49

• Active
A10 Scrambler squeal on start up
« on: 03.11. 2023 22:49 »
Newby, working on final assembly of 57/58 RGS/Scrambler. Engine was a good runner so not rebuilt. Initial start up Ok using pit starter (trying to save my knees), oil return good, all sounds good but after 10-15 seconds high pitched squeal, though oil still flowing fine. Stopped immediately. Took off outer primary cover and no evident problem of shock absorber or clutch binding on case. Tried starting again and same result after 10-15 seconds, though sounded fine at first. One thing that surprised me was that with the outer primary case cover removed oil shot out under pressure from the 2 case securing screw holes above and below the shock absorber assembly on crankshaft. Is that normal?  And does anyone have any ideas on the squeal noise, sounds like a bearing running dry, scary - Thanks for any help

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: A10 Scrambler squeal on start up
« Reply #1 on: 03.11. 2023 23:07 »
check rocker box oil feed they squeal when dry as do valves sometimes, as for the oil shooting out yes that is whet happens

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #2 on: 03.11. 2023 23:26 »
take out the bolts on the banjos of rocker feed pipe oil should run out. you can then check for blockage in the bolts that have small holes in them to feed the rockers. also you could take off the rocker covers and squirt oil through the valve springs onto the stems and try it again. if it still squeals squeal back at it while hopping about on one leg *pull hair out* only joking but this should tell you a story. now before a few more jump in please go to introductions and tell us a little about why you like beezers etc, then send me a private message with your bank details sort code etc or just send your bank card.   *welcome* to the forum. *wave*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 04.11. 2023 08:11 »
G'day John.
Can you tell where on the motor the squeal is coming from?
My first thought is either dynamo or mag.
oil shot out under pressure from the 2 case securing screw holes above and below the shock absorber assembly on crankshaft. Is that normal?
Yes, those two holes go into the crank case. You can screw very short bolts (too long will hit the crank) into the holes. It should have been only mist be it very moist coming out.
Bergs will share your bank details with me, wont you Bergs *ex* *whistle* *lol*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.11. 2023 09:13 »
I had an S8 for repair and it gave the most strange squeal when ticking over.
After checking all the suggestions as above it turned out to be a blown (but only slightly) head gasket.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.11. 2023 10:54 »
 Could  be a plain bush running dry. Pull in on the clutch. noise gone, it's in the gearbox. If gearbox final drive sleeve runs dry on the mainshaft, there will be noise in the intermediate gears, which disappears when in top gear, as these two parts then lock together.  Still there? Suspect timing side idler gear bushes,
 The Cam bushes should be well lubricated by an internal pressure feed if the PRV valve is operating correctly, but as suggested, a good oil supply to rocker gear is also important for cam follower lubrication. A slug of oil down the pushrod tunnel via rear rocker cover is good for all engines that have been standing, though some lubricant always stays in the cam trough.

Magneto and dynamo bearings are packed with grease on assembly, but no assumptions can ever be made, there are some ill informed dummies out there. Dynamo chain runs in grease.....it is not lubricated with engine oil unless fitted bushes with scrolls running the wrong way, as has happened with aftermarket parts.

Swarfy.

Offline farmerjohn49

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 04.11. 2023 12:15 »
Blimey! A true cavalcade of enlightened gents (I use the term lightly) with really useful info! Very much appreciated.  I will proceed with said suggestions and come back with my findings.  - I thought I had given a small intro on the dedicated Forum page but I will add to it to let you blokes know how truly disreputable I am... - Bank details to follow - but don't hold your breath