Author Topic: ID please  (Read 491 times)

Online fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
ID please
« on: 19.10. 2023 15:46 »
On my third forum looking for some clue of what I have picked up here. Two frames bought/rescued and I know one is a James ML '49? the other is this strange beast with pressed steel girder forks and modified frame with angle iron bits attached. Not holding my breath on this one but... the fellow said it was a Francis Barnet but I have my doubts.
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC
1948 A7 Long Stroke, a collection of BSA D1/B44/B50/A65 from the 50's thru 70's, Ariels/Nortons/Triumphs and a smattering of Japanese

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: ID please
« Reply #1 on: 19.10. 2023 19:12 »
 Frank, that bike looks to be the James ML, a model built initially for the military, used by Airborne Forces and continued post war in civilian trim. Girder type forks with pressed steel blades, bolted on chainstays, hand change gear lever gate attached to underside of fuel tank. Superseded by the similar James Comet in 1949

If I'm right, you need a Villiers 9D engine, 122cc. Twin exhaust pipes to a silencer box running across the frame in front of the motor....and a lot of other bits.

Swarfy.

Online fffcycles

• A's Good Friend
Re: ID please
« Reply #2 on: 20.10. 2023 17:21 »
Right, I did pick this up with a more complete James at the same time but the pressed steel fork blades are subtly different with ribs on this one and the rear tube has been replaced with the angle steel bits. Maybe just a bodge repair. Possibly different years and suppliers for the forks?
I will clean off the frames near the seat area and look to find serial numbers I hope.
Thanks Swarfy, just more proof I have way too many projects sitting in the wings. I have started on my '40 Ariel VA500 this week, the 'second '48 A7 LS went on another bench, sorting tin and other pieces under way, and one of my daughters asked me to build her a Bantam. Oooh, that should be fun!
Frank
Frank P Kamloops BC
1948 A7 Long Stroke, a collection of BSA D1/B44/B50/A65 from the 50's thru 70's, Ariels/Nortons/Triumphs and a smattering of Japanese