Author Topic: Replacement Engines in the 60’s  (Read 2183 times)

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
Re: Replacement Engines in the 60’s
« Reply #30 on: 13.12. 2023 15:28 »
Hi Rob, I have been fighting it and trying to get the category changed. DVLA say it was put on by the insurance company, so they have to change it. As stated the Motor insurance database would deal with it IF the event happened within the last 7 years. The insurance company would look at it, but I would have to get the frame checked by a vehicle structural engineer. I have spoken to three companies that do this and they all say, they want the bare frame striped of paint and even then they could not guarantee that they could say the frame was the original and undamaged.
It seams one brick wall after another, but I have not given up and I don’t intend to sell her as I love riding her.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #31 on: 13.12. 2023 15:40 »
It is so frustrating because, so far as I  can see there is no evidence of any accident and therefore no reason to inspect the frame.  This looks like an screw up at the time when they should have marked it a not economic rather than damaged beyond safe repair.  There's a lot of hypocrisy here, my 30 year old agreed value car got hit by a truck a few years ago.  It was recovered and sent for repair as it was agreed value.  No garage wanted to repair it but the insurers had it in their possession.  In the end they trailered it back to me, gave me right off money and said they would not put any entry on the insurers database (!) so I could do want I wanted with it.  I fixed it with used parts, got it MOTed and sold it.  Was honest in the sales add and buyer was happy.  Clearly there's flexibility when it suits them.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #32 on: 13.12. 2023 17:43 »
Yes frustrating is an understatement. The problem appears to be the reverse of what you say, as in the is no documentary evidence that is was NOT in an accident and so the original assessment remains.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 13.12. 2023 17:59 »
Ask exactly what type of report they require.  Those companies seem to be setting the bar very high.  I would expect an Engineer's report from someone who could prove relevant competence - perhaps someone who restores Nortons for example. I am a C.Eng and do write Engineers reports as I have some expertise in vehicles, but I don't have the equipment to check a frame and none of my professional experience relates to bikes.  Someone with the ability measure the key points accurately would probably charge for 1/2 day, 1 day max.  The bike needs to go on a table and measurements taken to the main points plus a visual inspection then 1 or 2 pages or typing.  The type of scissor lift table used at fabricators should be good enough, they take a ton easily and are flat.  They are asking you to prove a negative which is always tricky, try to nail them down to something manageable for you.  I think "Vehicle Structural Engineer" has some flexibility and may allow you to pay for a report from a motor cycle work shop.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #34 on: 13.12. 2023 18:33 »
The chap in derby i took my notrun featherbed frame to for him to cut the ears off and weld new ones on for the BSA berger build engine was really on the ball. he showed me where the cracks were in the frame with the paint on it. i could only see one but there were four. he put his mandrels and jigs on it and said apart from the cracks it was good. i took the paint off and got it crack tested and he was correct. this chap made titanium frames for scramblers etc.  he welded it up and got everything together with empty cases and wheels all lined up, this was a good 5 years ago now so it's about time i threw it together, progress is slow but i will get there, my kitchen bench is now down and in the coal shed and the engine is on the floor in the kitchen. who knew an A7 engine with engine stand weighs 7/ 1/2 stone, i do i had to lift it off then weigh it because i thought , bloomin eck that buggas heavy. black&tans now  *beer*