Author Topic: 12 volt LED  (Read 1766 times)

Online rocker21

• A's Good Friend
Re: 12 volt LED
« Reply #15 on: 06.11. 2023 10:48 »
if you buy the right LED its not a problem, you are correct there are a lot of cheap ones about that are very bright but dont have a decent main or dip beam, got one on my A7 and it is very good, nice and bright and puts a lot of light a long way down the road and the dip is fine.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, new triumph speed 400

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 07.11. 2023 21:51 »

Currently running 2 of the 12v latest version dual polarity...

Bill,

Not taking away from the rest of the scintillating prose in your post, but this line got my principle attention. Are you saying you are running dual headlights?  I learned a big lesson about dual side-by-side headlights on motorcycles a while back. Pulling our car out of McDonald's one night, I saw a distant car coming that did not pose a problem, until it turned out to be a Harley with side-by-side headlights (making it look like a distant car). I got well-deserved central-digit salute. He and I are both thankful I did not kill him and his girlfriend.

Richard L.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #17 on: 08.11. 2023 06:32 »

Currently running 2 of the 12v latest version dual polarity...

Bill,

Not taking away from the rest of the scintillating prose in your post, but this line got my principle attention. Are you saying you are running dual headlights?  I learned a big lesson about dual side-by-side headlights on motorcycles a while back. Pulling our car out of McDonald's one night, I saw a distant car coming that did not pose a problem, until it turned out to be a Harley with side-by-side headlights (making it look like a distant car). I got well-deserved central-digit salute. He and I are both thankful I did not kill him and his girlfriend.

Richard L.

One lamp per bike Richard - the particular LEDs work Pos or Neg earth, is all.
OTOH, I do present a fairly visible object for other road users on bikes with Bright Eyes fitted - which I think are a major contribution to road safety! In the pic, one each side of the nacelle, and just a SIDE light in the middle. Pretty unmissable I hope!
Cheers, Bill
Bill

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 08.11. 2023 14:38 »
I read a study a few years back over motorcycle headlights the said a triangulated light pattern was easier for cagers to see , as opposed to one big light coming towards them at night ......many car drivers think its a car with 1 headlight out coming towards them and flash their headlights  .
If you have a look at the new led tiny spotlights they have now they are really bright .

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 24.11. 2023 16:47 »
On my B31 I had a little 60's spotlight that clamped on the handlebar.  I had it wired to main beam with its own switch on it.  It was very handy because I could aim it straight down the road.  Now I would get something like that and put an LED in it.  Easy to remove for a safety test.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Lone Wolf

• Moving Up
« Reply #20 on: 24.11. 2023 23:29 »
Wotcha.

I too use the bulbs from Mr. Goff.  They ain't cheap, but they do give the correct beam pattern.   On my Bantam and B31, which have the smaller 5½" headlight, I use a complete LED headlight unit.   These work very well, but they do look somewhat out of place on an older machine . . .  but I didn't build my bike for its looks.   A couple of LED spotlights will make night riding much easier.

https://www.lonewolf.me.uk/LWMEimages/B31-2021-3.jpg

mod edit: No external image hosting. Added as attachment.
see https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2545.0
West Midlands 62 SR