Author Topic: clutch shock absorber  (Read 511 times)

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
clutch shock absorber
« on: 08.09. 2023 13:10 »
Here's a query for the clutch gurus on the forum:

My 1,000cc vee twin uses a plunger gearbox and clutch. There is no shock absorber in the transmission (no provision for one at the crank) so was wondering - prodded along by recent clutch discussion - whether I could graft one into my clutch. Reason I ask is because the bike is not smooth under 30mph due to power pulses.
There are, however, some limiting factors - such as the fact it's belt drive (I riveted the plunger basket into the driven sprocket). This in turn means, because of my choice of type of belt, there's very few belt length options - meaning I could not fit a larger clutch sprocket (although there is room) in order to accommodate a norton clutch (which apparently fits the plunger clutch shaft and has - some models at least - a built-in shock absorber). The OD of a norton clutch is almost (by cursory measurement) a shade under 1/4 inch larger than the plunger basket OD.
So .... would it be possible to mix n match parts to get a shock absorber clutch centre into a plunger basket? Don't mind having to make a centre to fit the gearbox shaft if that would solve the issue.  *dunno2*
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: clutch shock absorber
« Reply #1 on: 08.09. 2023 14:03 »
Can you reduce the diameter of Norton plates, to fit into your basket?

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 09.09. 2023 09:36 »
Could you use the standard Triumph/A10 4-spring clutch with an A65 hub which has the cush drive. I've come across quite few A65/Triumph clutches on A10's. I am told the mainshafts are interchangable so it may be possible. Just a thought.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 09.09. 2023 22:01 »
Hi All,
AFAIK the 4 spring cush hub would be too big to fit in the plunger basket, unless you could come up with some custom
plates ??
It might be worth checking an earlier Norton chain wheel for size?

Another thought RD, Have you looked at a Burman clutch?, They use rubber discs mounted eccentrically in holes clamped between the chainwheel and clutch basket

I have a belt kit for a project, so I got SRM to fit the BSA cush drive internals into the BNR engine pulley, yet to try it

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.09. 2023 12:10 »
Thanks to all for the suggestions so far.
Trouble is I don't have lots of bits lying around to guide me. I have BSA rigid / swing arm 6 spring bits and a diaphragm clutch on a norton box - but that clutch is apparently Italian and looks unlike any other norton clutch I've seen.
All I know is that a 6 spring clutch basket is bigger in diameter than the plunger one, and therefore wouldn't fit in my clutch sprocket (there's not enough 'meat' to open it up) and the sprocket can't be changed for a larger one due to belt availability.
What I was wondering was whether one could, maybe with a little fettling, fit a cush hub (with its associated steel plates) into a plunger basket - with its associated friction plates. If required, I could make an adaptor to get the cush hub to fit the plunger shaft and sort out the basket bearing.

I dismissed the idea of fitting a cushion into the engine sprocket - that would be a nightmare involving making a new sprocket (my mate George is no longer available with his dividing head and DRO-equipped mill) compounded by the fact the sprocket carries the spragg clutch for the starter.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.