Author Topic: Another weird clutch  (Read 587 times)

Offline Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
Another weird clutch
« on: 01.09. 2023 08:51 »
Hi all, I went to adjust the clutch on my fiends A10 as it was dragging. It was his brothers bike and he died last year shortly after completing its renovation. My fiend wanted to put it on the VMCC stand at the Copdock motorcycle show this week end.
Its a swinging arm bitsa with 1954 frame and 1960 engine
Started with a really light clutch operation but no slip. Took of primary cover and no oil inside. Found a four spring clutch inside.
The pressure plate lifted very uneven so started the normal process of tightening on the high side, but when clutch let in and out the high side appeared to move. Noticed the chain wheel wobbled about 2-3mm so removed the pressure plate to check all was tight inside which it was. I don’t recall my four springers wobbling like that. I also don’t recall the four ‘spring’ bolts being as loose as these when hand pulled tight against the chain wheel.
Pulled out the push rode and found that it had been cut and assume there is a ball in there, I don’t think it had been shortened and so maybe it is too long.
Put back on the pressure plate and tightened all up until no clutch slip and started adjustment lift again. With the clutch pulled in the pressure plate wonders across the clutch plates (lateral movement), again I don’t recall mine doing that. Tightened everything up more but it would not adjust, it appeared to improve but as soon as you let the clutch out turned it over and pulled it in again the high point was back and having marked the pressure plate had moved.
It was ridable before and the show was the priority so we put it all back together, with ATF in the primary.
I adjusted the gear box leaver as that was at a terrible angle but on testing it was no better than before I started.
At some point I will try again in my workshop so I have all the tools.
Could the mainshaft be bent
Could the too long push rod be limiting lift
Could the clutch and drive sprocket be out of line and thus causing the clutch to wobble and move the high spot.
Could one of the plates be warped, I checked the pressure plate
Any other ideas
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: Another weird clutch
« Reply #1 on: 01.09. 2023 19:25 »
After my clutch woes, I'm thinking of the following:

Check that the clutch centre is sitting firm on the taper.  Not sure but, if it isn't, this may cause excessive 'wobble' on the chainwheel even with the nut tightened up.  My engine sprocket and chainwheel were about 3mm out of line.  Berg's brother (MWAS) shaved off 3m off the cush sleeve flange, and it lines up perfectly now (Col from Oz also had the same problem).  Would also check that the pushrod is not bent and is engaged correctly in the pressure plate.  If it's escaping, that'll cause all sorts of nasty issues, probably including the pressure plate 'wandering' about and creating uneven lift.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Richard Hinton

• Moving Up
Re: Another weird clutch
« Reply #2 on: 17.09. 2023 21:42 »
I have a 6 spring clutch on my A10 1960. I had a wobble years ago and found the bearings were shot maybe check yours. also if the casing was dry then the chain is running dry, this does not look good. at the bottom of the casing there should be an oil drain and the inner bolt sets the oil level.

hope you have success
1960 GF