Author Topic: Fork leg interchange.  (Read 374 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Fork leg interchange.
« on: 03.07. 2023 16:47 »
 After reading Richards excellent thread on fork leg repair I started to wonder if later A65 fork legs could not be used.

I read through Bacons' and he mentions quite a few design changes ( mudgaurd stay mounting points, and of course the axle mounts) but he never mentions dimension.

Outside of the 70s stuff. are all the fork legs the same but with different part numbers, even the double damper models of the later 60s?

Thank you,
Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Fork leg interchange.
« Reply #1 on: 03.07. 2023 23:45 »
Hi Lee,
Yes, the earlier A65 legs will fit (up to when the design changed) and if you choose the right ones they have 2 way damping

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 11.07. 2023 23:28 »
 Hi John,

Because I know my fork legs are worn, I went looking for some A65 sliders that would help. I found a set of 1968 (I believe) sliders the seller said were in excellent condition with the dampers and rods.

I am trying like hell to add a photo here, wish me luck.

Anyway, the package comes and all the parts really are in excellent condition. The problem is one slider has the nipple in the bottom, and I am assuming its for late A10 or early A65. The other slider has the hole for mounting the later double damper, like 1968.

I have not contacted the seller yet, first I needed to run an idea by the board.

I made Dow style dampers for my current forks, so the double damper of the 1968 set-up is not that important to me. So the only difference between the two sliders is the nipple in the bottom.

Does anyone see a reason I could not reproduce the shape of that nipple and bolt it into the bottom of the later forks using the hole for the damper mount? I am thinking there is no real load on this part, and it can be bolted down hard and leak free. I am trying to figure out all my options before I contact people.

If I remember right, my worst slider had .010 (0.254 mm) wear, and that was some years ago.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.07. 2023 23:50 »
Hi Lee
Yes you can fit the taper plug and anchor it with the bolt
If I remember correctly this was the setup used on some forks ??

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)