Author Topic: Oil  (Read 914 times)

Offline Fat Dell

• Moving Up
Re: Oil
« Reply #15 on: 20.02. 2023 23:13 »
Tell you what lads, it’s all bloody good advice and greatly appreciated!
I’ve owned plenty of nortons but limited experience with the BSAs so it’s great to hear peoples reasons and why. I know everyone’s bike reacts a bit different pending their climate, conditions, style of riding and of course wear and tear on the bike amongst other variables . 👍🍻
61 A10 SR

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #16 on: 21.02. 2023 08:08 »
Tell you what lads, it’s all bloody good advice and greatly appreciated!
I’ve owned plenty of nortons but limited experience with the BSAs so it’s great to hear peoples reasons and why. I know everyone’s bike reacts a bit different pending their climate, conditions, style of riding and of course wear and tear on the bike amongst other variables . 👍🍻

You're right mate, I only ride the Beeza in the warmer, better weather as I have a modern for winter.  Because it doesn't see much cold weather, a thicker monograde is fine, otherwise it'd be 20/50 in engine and gearbox, with a modern motorcycle 10/40 in the primary.  I do like to 'ride' my bike (not thrash the nuts off it), but I like to 'progress' if you know what I mean, and I have had problems with oil p*****g out everywhere.  However, with the Bergs build, everything will be hunky dory and my garage floor will be oil free *whistle* *whistle* *whistle* *beer* *beer* *beer* *beer*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #17 on: 22.02. 2023 23:56 »
Duckhams 20/50 was the go back in the 60's without a doubt - we need to separate multigrades like that back then, which were "just" multigrades, from todays multigrade oils which contain detergents to keep the contaminants in suspension to carry through to the filter, this is the key differentiator, not the fact that its multigrade (IMO  ;))....