Author Topic: 67-1496 Oil pressure relief valve spring  (Read 997 times)

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
Re: 67-1496 Oil pressure relief valve spring
« Reply #15 on: 06.01. 2023 13:16 »
The one on the right should not be used as the ends are not closed (round) as the others, a ball would not sit square.
Cheers
Ah, but what about the PRV's with a bucket type plunger?
What's a bucket type plunger?  Is that what is used in the SRM unit?  Surely a ball resting on a narrow seat will seal better most times as a plunger on a face could be kept from seating due to debris?
'59 A10RR + Second engine

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 06.01. 2023 13:27 »
G'day Keith.
The one on the left is the non return valve spring from inside the motor. The center one is the PRV spring. The one on the right should not be used as the ends are not closed (round) as the others, a ball would not sit square.
Cheers
Looks like SRM spring has open ends:
https://www.shop.srmclassicbikes.com/product/oil-pump-spring-a50-a65-a10-anti-drain-valve
Could not attach a photo but will try.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 06.01. 2023 13:52 »
What's a bucket type plunger?
Sorry if I've caused confusion. The SRM pressure relief valve has a bucket shaped piston, something like this:
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 06.01. 2023 14:24 »
What's a bucket type plunger?
Sorry if I've caused confusion. The SRM pressure relief valve has a bucket shaped piston, something like this:
Thank you. I thought it somethink like the photo.  Just not seen inside one before.  Still don't understand why a plunger set up is better?  As long as a ball has a good seat to seal on, all should be well?  Whereas, a flat face is likely to get debis under it and perhaps not seal as well?
Having the correct spring will apply to both set ups.
Living and learning.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #19 on: 07.02. 2023 04:43 »
Keith, the plunger ones are more progressive, as they lift they open the side holes, whereas the ball type blow through more directly once the ball lifts. IMHO its worth checking the blow off pressure and also being sure the PRV thread is a good fit and not loose in the cases as that can result in zero pressure to the crank. The ball type are more prone to leakage as very limited seating area if not properly seated

Several A10's here had pressure issues and I fitted a oil pressure gauge to see what was happening after a rebuild on two of mine. I run a Les Williams Triumph type and is was exceeding 80psi on start up and at idle hot. With washers added we have it operating between 60-70 PSI hot. The engine does run a timing conversion so doesn't have the pressure loss of a timing bush. I'm not far from having my stock motor running and expect the pressures to be far lower, but we've still set the blow off lower than it was as supplied.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 07.02. 2023 20:38 »
To be honest I would just buy new springs and be done with it they are only pennies

BSA A10 x 4
BSA A65 Lightning
Triumph T150v
Tribsa (A10 frame 750 Bonnie motor)

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 08.02. 2023 07:36 »
I did that’s why I ended up with three springs.  Now much wiser!